Compute Commutator [L,p]: Tutorial

• Thread starter sapplesapple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation discusses how to compute the commutator [L,p] and provides a hint to use Cartesian coordinates with [x,px]=i and (rXp)_i=epsilon_ijk x_ip_j.r = (x, y, z) and p = (px, py, pz). It also mentions that p = -i\hbarh\del and that rxp is not the same as pxr.
sapplesapple
How do i compute the commutator [L,p]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the forum guidelines.

You should know from your class that the commutator [x, y] = xy - yx

you can express the L operator in terms of the coordinates x,y,z and the momentum operator p. Apply the commutator to a wavefunction psi and simplify!

Hope that gave you a clue.

use L=rXp in the commkuator.

I find 2ihp, is that correct? do you know the correct answer?

sapplesapple said:
How do i compute the commutator [L,p]?

First of all, both L and p are vectors, so the commutator should be computed componentwise. Next, you need to find a common dense everywhere domain for the commutator, it's not difficult to see that on the Schwartz space over R^3 both the momentum and the angular momentum operators are essentially self-adjoint and the invariance conditions are met. Therefore,

[tex] [L_{i},p_{j}]_{-}\psi (\vec{r})=... [/tex]

and , without doing any specific calculations (derivatives i mean), using the fundamental comm. relations (also valid on the Schwartz space) and some simple Levi-Civita pseudotensor manipulations, you can find the answer.

sapplesapple said:
I find 2ihp, is that correct? do you know the correct answer?
No its more complicated than that. Use Cartesian coordinates with
[x,px]=i and (rXp)_i=epsilon_ijk x_ip_j.

r = (x, y, z) and p = (px, py, pz).

I assume you know how to take a cross product. The only other thing is that p = -i\hbarh\del which acts on the wavefunction \Psi, and you can't exchange r and p (ie. rxp is not the same as pxr)

I hope that helps

1. What is a commutator in terms of computing?

A commutator in computing refers to an operation that calculates the difference between two quantities and is denoted by [A,B]. In this case, [L,p] represents the commutator between the angular momentum operator (L) and the momentum operator (p).

2. What is the purpose of computing the commutator [L,p]?

The commutator [L,p] is used to determine the uncertainty in the measurement of angular momentum and momentum. It helps in understanding the relationship between these two physical quantities and their corresponding operators.

3. How do you compute the commutator [L,p]?

To compute the commutator [L,p], you can use the formula [L,p] = Lp - pL, where L and p are operators. First, calculate the product of L and p, then calculate the product of p and L, and finally subtract the second product from the first product.

4. What are the properties of the commutator [L,p]?

The commutator [L,p] has the following properties:

• It is antisymmetric, meaning [L,p] = -[p,L]
  • It is linear, meaning [aL, bP] = ab[L,p]
  • It satisfies the Jacobi identity, meaning [A,[B,C]] + [B,[C,A]] + [C,[A,B]] = 0
  • The commutator of two commuting operators is zero

5. How is the commutator [L,p] used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the commutator [L,p] is used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of angular momentum and momentum for a quantum system. It also helps in determining the compatibility of two physical quantities, where the commutator is non-zero if the two quantities are not compatible.