Fundamental Group of 2-Sphere w/ 2 Disks Removed

• Thread starter podboy6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the problem involves finding the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with two disjoint disks removed, which has the same homotopy type as a familiar space. There is some confusion about the visualization of the space, with one suggestion being to imagine a rubber sphere with two disks removed. The approach is to first consider a sphere with one disk removed, which is topologically like an open disk. And finally, the homotopy equivalence of the holed disk is discussed.
podboy6

Homework Statement

What is the fundamental group of A where A is the 2-sphere with two disjoint disks removed. It has the same homotopy type as a familiar space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first looked at this problem, and saw how it was drawn out (in Munkres book,) it looked like a squashed sphere with two holes in it, so my first thought that it was homotopic to the double tours T#T. However, since the problem states that it is not the solid 2-sphere, I'm having second thoughts about it. To me it seems like its a sphere missing two holes in one hemisphere. It doesn't say anything about performing some surgery on the space and adding a cylinder or Mobius band to it, so it seems to me that it should be homotopic to the 2-sphere and therefore it's fundamental group is trivial. Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to do this problem is to actually visualize a rubber sphere, removing two disks, and seeing what shape remains -- in my mind, at least, it's clear what shape that is. (It may help to visualize removing antipodal disks)

If you can't visualize it, then you could try computing it. A sphere with two disks removed is the same as a (sphere with one disk removed) with one disk removed. So first, can you say what a sphere with one disk removed looks like?

it seems to me that it should be homotopic to the 2-sphere and therefore it's fundamental group is trivial.
How do you construct that homotopy? What happened to the holes?

Hurkyl said:
If you can't visualize it, then you could try computing it. A sphere with two disks removed is the same as a (sphere with one disk removed) with one disk removed. So first, can you say what a sphere with one disk removed looks like?

Wouldn't a sphere with one disk removed look like a disk? (For instance, chopping off the lower hemisphere or at least cutting a hole and stretching it out to a disk?

The sphere with one disk removed is topologically like an open disk. Now, following Hurkyl's idea, what is an open disk with one disk removed like?

(topologically you can't go much further.. find what the holed disk is homotopically equivalent to)

1. What is the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed?

The fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed is isomorphic to the free group on two generators, or the group with two letters a and b where a represents a loop around one removed disk and b represents a loop around the other removed disk.

2. How is the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed different from a 2-sphere with 1 disk removed?

The fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed is not isomorphic to the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 1 disk removed. The former is a free group on two generators while the latter is a free group on one generator.

3. Can the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed be visualized?

Yes, the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed can be visualized as a group of loops on a surface with two holes. These loops can be represented as letters a and b, and their combinations form the elements of the fundamental group.

4. How is the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed related to topology?

The fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed is an important concept in algebraic topology. It is used to classify topological spaces and study their properties.

5. What are some applications of the fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed?

The fundamental group of a 2-sphere with 2 disks removed has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to study knot theory, understand the topology of surfaces, and even in computer graphics to create 3D models of surfaces with holes.