PF Upgrade: Fixing Annoying Bugs & Layout Errors

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new version of our forum software is out and it's beautiful! This weekend I will start planning for the upgrade and I hope to start either Monday or Tuesday. During the upgrade the forums will be done and you'll find the site password protected. I'm not entirely sure how long the upgrade will take, however along with the upgrade we will be reinstalling the LaTeX hack and a few other hacks I am excited about. Just think, all the annoying bugs and terrible layout errors will be fixed!
Well folks, it's here finally! The new version of our forum software is out and it's beautiful! This weekend I will start planning for the upgrade and I hope to start either Monday or Tuesday. During the upgrade the forums will be done and you'll find the site password protected. I'm not entirely sure how long the upgrade will take, however along with the upgrade we will be reinstalling the LaTeX hack and a few other hacks I am excited about. To make the upgrade time shorter we will use the forum default skin and work on that later. Just think, all the annoying bugs and terrible layout errors will be fixed!

So recap:
Forum upgrade
Downtime Monday or Tuesday for most of the day
Default skin
A few hacks will be added initially

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do we need do anything like reapplying to PF (a la last year) to maintain our member status/information?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Do we need do anything like reapplying to PF (a la last year) to maintain our member status/information?

Good question (considering our past). You won't need to reregister, everything will be preserved and carried along with the upgrade.

I hope to start this afternoon. If I do the forums might be down for a few hours.

Woohoo!

Very nice, Greg...easy on the eyes, too!

Zero said:

Thanks zero, lots left to do, but I have enough done to open it back up :smile:

It's all so...different. I like the change

So many buttons! I like this quick reply

Very nice!
I missed the notice of the change over, was caught by surprise when the fourms suddenly disapeared! Looks like the upgrade went smooth. Congrats Greg!

So many buttons! I like this quick reply

I love quick reply. I wish more forums would have that feature.

Pretty! Where's the centerfold?

Greg, I found a little problem. Something went wrong with the cookie system after I did an advanced reply. Got the following message:

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /htdocs/www/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php
Line: 1467

I had to clear my cookies and sign back on.

Btw, very nice improvements to the site

Last edited:
the site looks great! the only thing i sort of wish we had is a shout box, similar to what philosophyforums has...it's a small chat box in real time, and it's kinda neat.

It isn't going to look like this for long is it? The excessive amount of white makes it really hard on the eyes.

I think the color scheme is very good. ShawnD, you should try to turn down the brightness and contrast on your monitor if the white bothers you.

ShawnD said:
The excessive amount of white makes it really hard on the eyes.
I was thinking the same thing. I had to dim my screen. I really liked the soft blue.

I also noticed everyone except the mentor's avatars now say "registered user".

It'd be great if the boards were password protected.

Like, you can't see inside the board without a membership. Once you click on General Physics, General Discussion, Software it'll say, "Membership required"

More private and less 1 post members.

Kerrie said:
the site looks great! the only thing i sort of wish we had is a shout box, similar to what philosophyforums has...it's a small chat box in real time, and it's kinda neat.

A shoutbox can be added, maybe for contributing members? :wink:

Dagenais said:
It'd be great if the boards were password protected.

Like, you can't see inside the board without a membership. Once you click on General Physics, General Discussion, Software it'll say, "Membership required"

That would suck. Whenever I see a forum like that, it tells me they are desperate for members. The last 3 or 4 forums like that I have joined only had like 20 members and had very little activity.

That would suck. Whenever I see a forum like that, it tells me they are desperate for members. The last 3 or 4 forums like that I have joined only had like 20 members and had very little activity.

Why would keeping your forums safe(r) and private give you that impression?

There are close to no disadvantages to it.

dduardo said:
Greg, I found a little problem. Something went wrong with the cookie system after I did an advanced reply. Got the following message:
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you just happened to load a page right as I was modifying the bbcode parser for LaTeX. Shouldn't happen again.

- Warren

(from "Cheap Sunglasses" by Z Z Top)

When you sign on Physics Forums and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin' and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

Zero said:
You think so? I just woke up and I am scrabling to find some sunglasses! :S

mm... really.. the page is so busy it hurts my eyes :( I liked the other layout better..

Funny you should say that. I really am wearing sunglasses as I view the board.

I'm not invisible and I should be.

Now they all know where I am!

Oh, that sure helps a lot! Thanks Greg :)
I hope the page is going to be compacted (like getting rid of the big blue bar between the posts), but that can be discussed later.

Hmmm...
What was wrong with the old look?

Aside from being much more comfortable to view, it was easier to see at a glance the thread title, thread starter and last poster. It was also convenient to see who was at each forum, and to be able to jump directly from one forum to another.

I really like the new color scheme and the general look better, but I agree some features were more practical before the upgrade.
Anyway, great job!

Go greg! Go greg!

Much better, thanks!

if there isnt, how about a user side custom theme colour settings?

i also had to readd my avatar. and omg wheres my sig message gone??

and i like the blue bar. it helps to know when one post ends and another starts.

Last edited:
!sdrawkcab tuo semoc epyt I gnihtyreve ,yeH

lrojN

Gara said:
and i like the blue bar. it helps to know when one post ends and another starts.
You actually LIKE the blue bar? I think it is too much scrolling, too chaotic and too contrasting (not very easy on the eyes)..

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF Upgrade?</h2><p>The purpose of the PF Upgrade is to fix any annoying bugs and layout errors that may be present in the current version of the software. This will improve the overall functionality and user experience of the software.</p><h2>2. How will the PF Upgrade fix these bugs and errors?</h2><p>The PF Upgrade will involve a thorough testing and debugging process to identify and resolve any issues. This may include rewriting code, updating libraries, or making design changes. The goal is to address all reported bugs and errors to ensure a smoother and more efficient software.</p><h2>3. Will the PF Upgrade affect my current data and settings?</h2><p>No, the PF Upgrade will not affect your current data and settings. The upgrade process will only make changes to the software code and design, and will not alter any user data or configurations.</p><h2>4. How long will the PF Upgrade take?</h2><p>The duration of the PF Upgrade will depend on the extent of the bugs and errors that need to be fixed. It may take a few days to a few weeks, but the exact timeline will be communicated to users beforehand.</p><h2>5. Will there be any downtime during the PF Upgrade?</h2><p>There may be some downtime during the PF Upgrade as the software is being updated and tested. However, efforts will be made to minimize any disruptions and users will be notified in advance of any scheduled downtime.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF Upgrade?

The purpose of the PF Upgrade is to fix any annoying bugs and layout errors that may be present in the current version of the software. This will improve the overall functionality and user experience of the software.

2. How will the PF Upgrade fix these bugs and errors?

The PF Upgrade will involve a thorough testing and debugging process to identify and resolve any issues. This may include rewriting code, updating libraries, or making design changes. The goal is to address all reported bugs and errors to ensure a smoother and more efficient software.

3. Will the PF Upgrade affect my current data and settings?

No, the PF Upgrade will not affect your current data and settings. The upgrade process will only make changes to the software code and design, and will not alter any user data or configurations.

4. How long will the PF Upgrade take?

The duration of the PF Upgrade will depend on the extent of the bugs and errors that need to be fixed. It may take a few days to a few weeks, but the exact timeline will be communicated to users beforehand.

5. Will there be any downtime during the PF Upgrade?

There may be some downtime during the PF Upgrade as the software is being updated and tested. However, efforts will be made to minimize any disruptions and users will be notified in advance of any scheduled downtime.

Back