Factorizing a Complex Polynomial: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, this person is trying to find a program to factor a homework problem, but they are having difficulty. They say that the problem is "nasty" and that they don't know how to begin.
snowJT

Homework Statement

Find the LT of this...

[tex]\frac{s^3 - 2s^2 - 6s - 6}{s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100}[/tex]
Apparently this question is solvable.. however.. the first step is nasty, I have no idea how to factor this... the ways I know won't work? Can someone help me out with factoring out the bottom?

Physics news on Phys.org
my native language is not english, so i do not really know what LT stands for?

snowJT said:

Homework Statement

Find the LT of this...

[tex]\frac{s^3 - 2s^2 - 6s - 6}{s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100}[/tex]
Apparently this question is solvable.. however.. the first step is nasty, I have no idea how to factor this... the ways I know won't work? Can someone help me out with factoring out the bottom?
[tex]\frac{s^3 - 2s^2 - 6s - 6}{(s^2+2s+10)^2}[/tex]

did you find a program to do it?

and LT stands for Laplas Transform

snowJT said:
did you find a program to do it?

and LT stands for Laplas Transform

Laplace Transformation and yes I found a calculator that could factor the denominator.

sutupidmath said:
my native language is not english, so i do not really know what LT stands for?

My native language is English and I didn't know what LT stood for!

You might try the "Rational Root Theorem". Any rational root of the denominator must evenly divide the constant term which is 100. Try plugging in divisors of 100 (1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 100) to find a factor of the denominator.

No real (therefore no rational) roots to the equation from the looks of ssbs factorization. Although it is quite easy to factorize:

[tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100[/tex]

Now, we can tell by simple logic the in a binomial expansion, to get an s^4 term, the first term in the factorization must be s^2. And to get a constant term of 100, the constant term in the bionomial must be 10.

So what we know is [tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100 = (s^2 + ks +10)^2[/tex] For Some constant k.

What we do from there is to expand (s^2 + ks +10)^2.

I did it for you, because you should already know how to do it - [itex]s^4 + 2ks^3 + (20+k^2)s^2 + 20ks + 100[/itex]. What do we do, we read off co efficients of course :) The co efficent of s^3 we already know is 4.

2k=4
k=2

[tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100 =(s^2 + 2s +10)^2[/tex]

Looks to me like you have partial fractions laplace transform problem. All I can say is factor and break it down into all the pieces you see on the top and then do some algebraic manipulation. This is such a annoying problem, its a patience learning problem.:rolleyes: A very special problem for a very special person.

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
No real (therefore no rational) roots to the equation from the looks of ssbs factorization. Although it is quite easy to factorize:

[tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 24s^2 + 40s + 100[/tex]

Now, we can tell by simple logic the in a binomial expansion, to get an s^4 term, the first term in the factorization must be s^2. And to get a constant term of 100, the constant term in the bionomial must be 10.

Obviously your method happens to work for this example, But it's not "logical" to assume the both factors end with 10, just because 100 is a perfect square. If nothing else, they might have ended in -10.

Consder [tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 28s^2 + 65s + 100[/tex] which can be factorised into [tex](s^2+3s+5)(s^2+s+20)[/tex], but not by your logic.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
Obviously your method happens to work for this example, But it's not "logical" to assume the both factors end with 10, just because 100 is a perfect square. If nothing else, they might have ended in -10.

Consder [tex]s^4 + 4s^3 + 28s^2 + 65s + 100[/tex] which can be factorised into [tex](s^2+3s+5)(s^2+s+20)[/tex], but not by your logic.

Damn. I Just got Owned.

1. What is factorizing a complex polynomial?

Factorizing a complex polynomial is the process of breaking down a polynomial into its irreducible factors. This allows for easier manipulation and understanding of the polynomial.

2. Why is factorizing a complex polynomial important?

Factorizing a complex polynomial is important because it helps in solving equations and finding roots of the polynomial. It also helps in simplifying the polynomial and identifying any patterns or relationships within the equation.

3. What is the step-by-step guide for factorizing a complex polynomial?

The step-by-step guide for factorizing a complex polynomial involves the following steps:

• Determine the degree of the polynomial
  • Identify any common factors
  • Use the quadratic formula or grouping method to factorize any quadratic terms
  • Continue factoring until all terms are irreducible

4. Can all complex polynomials be factorized?

No, not all complex polynomials can be factorized. Some polynomials may have complex roots that cannot be factored using real numbers. In these cases, the polynomial can be left in its factored form using complex numbers.

5. Are there any tips for factoring complex polynomials?

Yes, some tips for factoring complex polynomials include:

• Look for common factors first
  • Use the quadratic formula or grouping method for quadratic terms
  • Try to find patterns or relationships within the polynomial
  • Practice and familiarize yourself with common factoring techniques