Rate of current changing through an inductor

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of current change through a coil with given inductance and resistance, at a given time when a potential difference is applied. The solution involves using the equations L=EMF/(di/dt), L=N(flux)/i, and EMF=iR, and finding the current at t=0 and t=1.2ms, as well as the magnetic flux at t=1.2ms. The number of turns is needed, which is where further assistance is required.
supersunshine

Homework Statement

At time t=0 a 45V potential difference is applied to the leads of a coil with inductance L=50 mH and resistance R=180 ohm. At what rate is the current through the coil increasing at t=1.2ms?

Homework Equations

1) L=EMF/ (di/dt)
2) L=N(flux)/i
3)emf=iR

The Attempt at a Solution

I thougt you could first find the current at t=o using EMF=iR= .25 A, then you could find the current at t=1.2 ms, by first finding the flux at this time to do this:

I thought -d(flux)/dt=EMF= 45V. Is it correct to say that the magnetic flux is changing at a rate of 45 wb/s ? and then multiply by time and use equation 2 , however we don't know the number of turns, which is where I am stuck

any hints would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Firstly, it is important to note that the units for inductance (L) are in henrys (H), not webers (wb).

To solve this problem, we can use the equation L=EMF/(di/dt), where L is the inductance, EMF is the electromotive force (voltage), and (di/dt) is the rate of change of current.

At t=0, the EMF is 45V and the current is 0A. So we can rearrange the equation to solve for (di/dt) at t=0: (di/dt)=EMF/L= (45V)/(50mH)= 900 A/s.

To find the rate of change of current at t=1.2ms, we can use the same equation, but with a different value for EMF. At t=1.2ms, the EMF is still 45V, but the current is no longer 0A. We can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to find the current at t=1.2ms: I=(45V)/(180 ohm)= 0.25 A.

Plugging these values into the equation (di/dt)=EMF/L, we get: (di/dt)=(45V)/(50mH)= 900 A/s. This means that the current is increasing at a rate of 900 A/s at t=1.2ms.

What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire that generates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the number of turns in the coil and the current flowing through it.

How does an inductor affect the rate of current change?

An inductor resists changes in current flow. When the current through an inductor changes, the magnetic field also changes, which induces a voltage in the inductor that opposes the change in current. This opposition to changes in current is known as inductance and it is measured in units called henries (H).

What is the relationship between inductance and the rate of current change?

The rate of current change through an inductor is directly proportional to the inductance. This means that as the inductance increases, the rate of current change also increases. This relationship is described by the formula V = L di/dt, where V is the induced voltage, L is the inductance, and di/dt is the rate of change of current.

How do inductors affect AC circuits?

In AC circuits, the rate of current change is constantly changing direction. This means that the voltage induced in an inductor is also constantly changing, resulting in a constantly changing opposition to the current flow. This can cause a delay in the current flow, known as reactance, and can also affect the overall impedance of the circuit.

How do inductors store energy?

Inductors store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When a current flows through the inductor, it generates a magnetic field that stores energy. This stored energy can then be released back into the circuit when the current changes or when the inductor is connected to a different circuit. This property of inductors makes them useful in applications such as energy storage and filtering in electronic circuits.