Can a Wireless PCMCIA Card Extend Internet Access Beyond 100m?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of setting up a wireless connection between a laptop and a PC connected to the internet via cable. The idea is to be able to work on the laptop in different locations, such as a pub or park. The person suggests using a protocol like Bluetooth, but mentions that range may be an issue. They also mention having a new loft conversion with a good view of the park, but may still need a wireless modem or PCMCIA card for the laptop to receive the signal.
username
I had an idea the other day that if I could set up a wireless connection from my laptop to my pc which is connected to the internet via cable I could work on my laptop down the road (in a pub or park depending on the weather) I guess it would involve some protocol like bluetooth has anybody done a similar thing ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Should not be to much much of a problem got a new place in a loft conversion which is higher than most other surrounding buildings and has visual of the park I was thinking chilling out err working in ~ 100 meters. But I guess I would need some sort of wireless modem or somthing to stick in my laptop for the other end as well.

you need a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptop. most routers only transmit up to a 100m so you will need some way of getting the signal a little farther.

1. What is a wireless internet connection?

A wireless internet connection is a type of internet connection that does not require a physical, wired connection between a device and a router. Instead, it uses radio waves to transmit data between devices.

2. How does a wireless internet connection work?

A wireless internet connection works by converting data into radio waves and sending them through the air between a device and a router. The router then converts the radio waves back into data and sends it to the internet.

3. What are the advantages of a wireless internet connection?

Some advantages of a wireless internet connection include the ability to connect multiple devices without the need for cables, the convenience of mobility, and the ability to access the internet from a distance.

4. What are the disadvantages of a wireless internet connection?

Some disadvantages of a wireless internet connection include potential security risks, slower speeds compared to wired connections, and interference from other electronic devices.

5. How can I improve my wireless internet connection?

To improve your wireless internet connection, you can try moving closer to the router, reducing the number of devices connected to the network, or upgrading to a newer and more powerful router. You can also try changing the wireless channel on your router to reduce interference.