Why Do We Need the Axiom of Choice?

In summary: Final Odyssey. And the exact quote is, "The only equipment a true mathematician needs is a pencil, paper, and a wastebasket." How's that for being off-topic?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the axiom of choice in solving mathematical problems involving infinite sets. The axiom of choice is needed in order to make consistent choices from infinitely many options, which cannot be done with the axioms of ZF alone. Examples of its use are given, such as in proving the existence of algebraic closures and well-ordered sets. The conversation also mentions the equivalence between the axiom of choice and Zorn's lemma, and the concept of infinite sets being either finite or infinite. The source of a related quote
sutupidmath
the axiom of choice. Help!

well i am having trouble understanding why we need the axiom of choice. So could anybody post here some problems, and their solutions, that include the axiom of choice, and explain how it works, so how it is used in solving problems, and explain why we actually need the axiom of choice at all.
I would also like to know how to show the equivalence between the axiom of choice and Zorn's lemma, and Cermelo's theorem( every non empty set X can be well ordered).

thnx in return.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need the axiom of choice in order to guarantee that you can make a choice of infinitely many things in a consistent manner. It doesn't follow from the axioms of ZF (it is independent of them in fact). Choosing finitely many things you can do by induction, but infinitely many, well, that is tricky unless you happen to have something like the axiom of choice.

To add to matt-grime the axiom of choice is most nicely (for me) used in the syle of Zorn's Lemma. I have used it a few times before when I had to do something an infinitely number of times in an rigorous manner.

For example (I cannot find the thread) (I am going to skip much details because I do not know if you ever learned this, but you can still understand the structure of this argument. That is why I post it) every field has algebraic closure. Now here is how we prove this. Algebraic closure means (not exactly but for sake of simplicity) all elements are algebraic. Now given a field F if it is algebraically closed we are done. If not, i.e. there is an element "a" which is not algebraic we use Kroneckoer's theorem which says we can find a larger field having this "a" algebraic. Now if this new field, say E, is algebraically closed we are done. If not, i.e. there ia a "b" which is not algebraic we by simialr reasoning can extened it, to K say, where "b" is algebraic. The idea is that we do this infinitely number of times. And this is where Zorn's lemma enters.

But we have to be really really careful. It is not as simple as I say. In that thread (which I cannot find) math_wonk disfavors the approach I use above to prove the theorem because there are some technical set theory details that need to be met and I never address. But that is the general idea of how I seen it used and used it.

you never need either the axiom of choice or the zorn lemma, if technical details do not bother you.

come on kummer, surely you learned more than that from my very detailed and thoroughly referenced comments on your erroneous argument.it was in the post on algebraic closure in the linear and abstract algebra thread, and i moved it nearer the top for you, if you are now interested in reading it.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
come on kummer, surely you learned more than that from my very detailed and thoroughly referenced comments on your erroneous argument.
When I made my post I forgot what you told me on that construction. I assumed you said that I need to be careful. But now you say that I am wrong. Maybe, I made a mistake, I do not know that much about axiomatic set theory so it very possible.

Bertrand Russell stated :

"To choose one sock from each of infinitely many pairs of socks requires the Axiom of Choice, but for shoes the Axiom is not needed."

The idea is that the two socks in a pair are identical in appearance, and so we must make an arbitrary choice if we wish to choose one of them. For shoes, we can use an explicit algorithm -- e.g., "always choose the left shoe."

Let me ask you the following : What would happen if we didn't assume the Axiom of Choice?

matt grime said:
You need the axiom of choice in order to guarantee that you can make a choice of infinitely many things in a consistent manner. It doesn't follow from the axioms of ZF (it is independent of them in fact). Choosing finitely many things you can do by induction, but infinitely many, well, that is tricky unless you happen to have something like the axiom of choice.
My reply actually addresses the signature line request:
The source of the quote is, I believe, Arthur C. Clark. I think you will find it in his __3001: The final Odyssey__. 'The tools of a mathematician are pencil, paper and waste paper basket. The waste paper basket distinguishes him from a philosopher' - ? correct quote and attibution wanted." Clarke's version is even neater. Now you've got me rereading Arthur C. Clarke, for which I thank you.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
well i am having trouble understanding why we need the axiom of choice. So could anybody post here some problems, and their solutions, that include the axiom of choice, and explain how it works, so how it is used in solving problems, and explain why we actually need the axiom of choice at all.
I would also like to know how to show the equivalence between the axiom of choice and Zorn's lemma, and Cermelo's theorem( every non empty set X can be well ordered).

thnx in return.

Here's a plausable proposition.

Every infinite set includes a denumerbable subset.
Proof is straight forward with AC. What about without AC?

Here's a couple of definitions.

A set S is finite if there is a bijection f:{0,1,...,n-1} -> S. A set is infinite if it's not finite.

A set S is infinite if there is an injection f:S -> S such that f(S) is a proper subset of S. A set is finite if it's not infinite.

The definitions have been shown to be equivalent. Proof is based on AC. What about without AC?

Aha! The exact words -- I've got the book in front of me. Page 111 of Arthur C. Clarke's 3001, The Final Odyssey:
The Dean's complaining to his faculty. "Why do you scientists need such expensive equipment? Why can't you be like the Math Department, which only needs a blackboard and a wastebasket? Better still, like the Philosophy Department. That doesn'et even need a wastepaper basket."
In the novel, a character attributes this to the character Ted Khan.

good work. there is also a famous terminology in algebraic geometry, theory of linear systems, where the general element is sometimes called the general elephant.

do you know where this comes from? ill give you a hint, the author is dickens.

1. What is the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice is a mathematical principle that states that for any collection of non-empty sets, there exists a way to choose one element from each set. In other words, it asserts that given any set of mutually disjoint sets, there exists a set that contains exactly one element from each of the original sets.

2. Why is the Axiom of Choice important?

The Axiom of Choice is important because it allows for the construction of new sets that are not explicitly defined, but are necessary for certain mathematical proofs and constructions. It also has applications in various fields of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and algebra.

3. What are some consequences of the Axiom of Choice?

The Axiom of Choice has many interesting consequences, including the Banach-Tarski paradox, which states that a solid ball can be divided into a finite number of pieces, which can then be rearranged to form two identical copies of the original ball. It also has implications in the study of infinite sets, such as the existence of uncountable sets and the continuum hypothesis.

4. Is the Axiom of Choice universally accepted?

No, the Axiom of Choice is a controversial principle in mathematics. While it is accepted as valid by most mathematicians, there are some who reject it, arguing that it can lead to paradoxes and counterintuitive results. However, it is still used in many areas of mathematics and has been proven to be consistent with other axioms of set theory.

5. How does the Axiom of Choice relate to Zermelo-Fraenkel Set Theory?

The Axiom of Choice is one of the axioms in the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, which is the most widely accepted system of axioms for mathematics. This means that the Axiom of Choice is considered to be a fundamental principle in mathematics and is used as a building block for many mathematical proofs and constructions.