Capacitance of concenctric spheres

In summary, the figure shows six concentric conducting spheres with varying radii. Spheres B and C are connected by a wire, as are spheres D and E. To determine the equivalent capacitance of the system, you must use the equation Ceq = (1/Cab)+(1/Ccd)+(1/Cef), where Cab, Ccd, and Cef are the individual capacitances. However, there are only four conductors in the system - A, the conductor composed of B and C, the conductor composed of D and E, and F. The final formula for the equivalent capacitance would be C = (K((1/R - 1/2R)+(1/4R - 1/6R)+(1
mitleid
The figure below shows six concentric conducting spheres, A, B, C, D, E, and F having radii R, 2 R, 4 R, 6 R, 7 R, and 9 R, respectively. Spheres B and C are connected by a conducting wire, as are spheres D and E. Determine the equivalent capacitance of this system.

HWb.jpg

I understand that spheres B and C are equipotentials, as are D and E. Accordingly, they will share their charges with one another.

V = Ke*Q(1/a - 1/b) for a conducting sphere. I plug this into C = Q/V to get C = 1/ke(1/a - 1/b).

My problem is figuring how to knit these radii together into this equation... I guess the spheres which are connected by wire will act as equipotentials, or a capacitor series, and will have equal and opposite charges. This leaves the innermost radius and the outermost to cancel out one another, perhaps...

But I'm trying to find the equivalent capacitance of the system, and I haven't done that with a system of spheres before. In a circuit, Ceq is dependent on the type of connections (series/parallel), here I feel like I'm having to make a few too many assumptions.

I will try solving for Caf, Cbc and Cde, from there I'll have to find Ceq for the total system. Any help would be much appreciated here !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I think I'm getting closer. I was solving for the same problem with different numbers with R, 2R, 3R, 4R, 5R and 6R. I solved for Caf to get:

1/ke(1/R -1/6R) = 1/ke(5/6R)

Similarly I found Cbc = 1/ke(1/6R) and Cde = 1/ke(1/20R)

From this point I'm really not sure what to do. I went ahead and said Ceq = Caf + Cbc + Cde = 63/60R * 1/ke. The actual answer was 60R/37*1/ke, so I'm doing something essential incorrectly.

Please help!

The equation you're searching for is a bit different.

1/Ceq = (1/Cab)+(1/Ccd)+(1/Cef)

You're looking for the capacitance of the system, a series of conductors, while taking into account the irrelevance of certain radii values you see. There are effectively only four conductors in this system: A, the conductor composed of B and C, the conductor composed of D and E, and F. I think for the actual numerical answer, your formula would look something like:

C = (K((1/R - 1/2R)+(1/4R - 1/6R)+(1/7R - 1/9R)))^(-1)

I am having similar troubles and I believe that Depric is incorrect. More input would be appreciated.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge.

How is capacitance of concentric spheres calculated?

The capacitance of concentric spheres can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε0εr(a/b), where C is the capacitance, a and b are the radii of the inner and outer spheres, and ε0 and εr are the permittivity of free space and the relative permittivity of the material between the spheres, respectively.

What factors affect the capacitance of concentric spheres?

The capacitance of concentric spheres is affected by the distance between the spheres, the radii of the spheres, and the dielectric material between the spheres. It is also influenced by the material properties of the spheres themselves.

What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is farad (F), named after the British physicist Michael Faraday. 1 farad is equal to 1 coulomb per volt.

How does capacitance of concentric spheres relate to electric potential and charge?

The capacitance of concentric spheres is directly proportional to the electric potential difference between the spheres and inversely proportional to the amount of charge stored on the spheres. This means that as the potential difference between the spheres increases, the capacitance also increases, and as the amount of charge stored on the spheres increases, the capacitance decreases.