Can't find mistake on Spring/block Energy problem

In summary, a 1.93 kg block on a rough incline with a 38.2 degree angle is attached to a spring with a spring constant of 90 N/m. The block moves 10.9 cm down the incline before coming to rest. After using several equations and calculations, the value for the coefficient of kinetic friction was found to be approximately 0.4438645593, but it was determined to be incorrect. The individual asking for help had tried recalculating and got a different answer, but it was also incorrect. They are seeking assistance in finding their mistake.
falco451

Homework Statement

A 1.93 kg block situated on a rough incline with 38.2 angle is connected to a spring of negligible mass having a spring constant of 90 N/m.
The block is released from rest when the spring is unstretched, and the pulley is frictionless. The block moves 10.9 cm down the incline before coming to rest.

Homework Equations

W = (fk cos 180)
x= -[tex]\mu[/tex]k(mg cos theta)
Wnc = ( KE + PEg + PE s)f - (KE + PEg + PEs)i

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equations and combined them to get:
-[tex]\mu[/tex]k(18.194N cos 38.2) (.109) = 0 + (18.194)(-.109sin 38.2)
+ .5(90 N/m)(.109^2)

For my answer I got [tex]\mu[/tex]k = .4438645593
It says that my answer is wrong and I can't find what I did wrong. I recalculated several times and still got the same answer. Can you help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I retried calculating, and I got a different answer that was close to the one I had already gotten, but it was still wrong.

As a scientist, it is important to double-check our calculations and make sure we are using the correct equations and values. In this case, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations. First, let's review the given information and equations.

The block has a mass of 1.93 kg and is on a rough incline with a 38.2 degree angle. The spring has a spring constant of 90 N/m. The block is released from rest and moves 10.9 cm down the incline before coming to rest.

The equations we need to use are:

1. Net work done on the block = Change in kinetic energy
2. Work done by friction = Change in potential energy
3. Net work done on the block = Change in kinetic energy + Change in potential energy

Let's start by calculating the net work done on the block. We know that the change in kinetic energy is equal to zero since the block is initially at rest and comes to rest at the end. Therefore, the net work done on the block is also equal to zero.

Next, we can calculate the work done by friction. We know that the block moves 10.9 cm down the incline, which is equal to 0.109 m. The normal force on the block is equal to mg cos(theta), which is 18.194 N. Therefore, the work done by friction is equal to mu_k * (18.194 N) * (0.109 m) * cos(180 degrees) = -1.984 mu_k.

Lastly, we can calculate the change in potential energy. We have two types of potential energy in this problem - gravitational potential energy and spring potential energy. At the beginning, the block is at a height of 0.109 m above the ground, so the initial gravitational potential energy is equal to mgh = (1.93 kg) * (9.8 m/s^2) * (0.109 m) = 2.012 J. At the end, the block is at a height of 0.109 m above the ground, so the final gravitational potential energy is also equal to 2.012 J.

For the spring potential energy, we can use the equation PE_s = 0.5 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the block. In this case, the displacement

1. Why is it important to find the mistake on a spring/block energy problem?

Finding the mistake on a spring/block energy problem is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the potential and kinetic energy of the system. This is crucial in understanding the behavior and dynamics of the system and can help us make predictions and solve real-world problems.

2. What are some common mistakes made when solving spring/block energy problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving spring/block energy problems include incorrectly identifying the correct spring constant, using the wrong formula for potential or kinetic energy, and not accounting for external forces or friction. It is important to double-check all calculations and assumptions to avoid these errors.

3. How can I check if I made a mistake on a spring/block energy problem?

One way to check for mistakes on a spring/block energy problem is to do a dimensional analysis on all equations and calculations. This involves checking that all units cancel out correctly and that the final unit is consistent with the expected unit for energy, which is Joules (J).

4. Is it possible to have no mistake on a spring/block energy problem and still get the wrong answer?

Yes, it is possible to have no mistake on a spring/block energy problem and still get the wrong answer. This can happen if the initial conditions or assumptions are incorrect, or if there are external factors that are not accounted for. It is important to carefully consider all variables and potential sources of error when solving these types of problems.

5. What should I do if I can't find the mistake on a spring/block energy problem?

If you are unable to find a mistake on a spring/block energy problem, it could be helpful to ask for a second opinion from a peer or a teacher. Sometimes, having a fresh pair of eyes can help identify mistakes that may have been overlooked. Additionally, double-checking all calculations and assumptions can also help in finding the mistake.