Calculate Frictional Force: Object on Wood with 730g Weight and 91.5cm Length

• Thread starter mrkrupa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: I don't remember the word for it, but you are estimating the height. Then you use that to find the angle in your force diagram.
mrkrupa
There is a 730g object on a piece of wood measuring 91.5cm. If you slowly lift one end of the wood, predict high would you need to lift it in order for the object move.

The attachment has a picture of what is happening
physics.JPG

I have figured that the force of gravity it 7.3N and I have drawn a force diagram. I know how to find all the forces, but i do not know how to tell when the object's force has overcome friction. If someone can tell me how to tell when this happenes, I can solve the rest of the problem by myself. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The object begins to slide when there's a net force acting down the incline. What are the components of the weight? Are you given the coefficient of friction? How can you calculate the maximum value of static friction?

All I was given was the mass of the object

The mass is one piece of data that you don't need.

Well, we had to predict at what height the object would move, and all we were given was the mass. We were not aloud to raise the board. Tho we were aloud to measure the length of the board, which was 91.5cm long.

Last edited:
and wouldn't you need the mass to find the force of gravity, and from there you could find the force of friction and the natural force.

Last edited:
If you knew the coefficient of friction, you could calculate the angle the board must have for the object to start sliding. I suggest you do that and then estimate (or guess) the coefficient of friction for this material against wood.

mrkrupa said:
and woudln't you need the mass to find the force of gravity, and from there you could find the force of friction and the natural force.
The maximum friction force and gravity are both proportional to the mass, so it will cancel from your calculation.

what is a coefficient of friction?

mrkrupa said:
what is a coefficient of friction?

The ratio of the maximum static frictional force between the surfaces in contact to the normal force.

Here is my force diagram

force d.JPG

I'm trying to figure out how to tell when the friction force has decreased enough for the object to move.

Like DocAl said, you'll have to estimate the coefficient of static friction since it was not given.

Here are some typical values:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/frictioncoefficients.htm

Then you can use the length of the board to find the height required to get the object to slide. This experiment involves some assumptions so it's probably the concept that they want you to learn and not an exact value for height. That is to say that they want you to realize that the mass of the object is not related to the coefficient of friction.

so how would i use the coefficient of friction to figure out the height?

Hint: Coefficient of static friction = tan(x)

where,

x = the angle of the incline relative to the x axis.

ok, i get that now. But is there a formula to determine when the static friction will become kinetic friciton? or is that the level at which the friction turns into kinetic?

Last edited:
mrkrupa said:
ok, i get that now. But is there a formula to determine when the static friction will become kinetic friciton?

The frictional force becomes "kinetic" at the moment it overcomes the "static" frictional force (i.e. when it starts to slide).

ok, i'll try to work it all out

Is this where x is for Tan(x)?

where is x.JPG

now I am all confused... Do I need to estimate a height, use that to get the angle from my attachment above, then take that angle put it into tan(x) to get the coefficent?

I have guessed a height of 30 cm. That gives x an angle of 19.27 degress

where is x.JPG

And I have calculated that at 19.27 degrees, the force of friction would be 2.55N. Also, the natural force would be 6.86N. Now, I am stuck on how to figure what the coefficient of static friction would be to see if at this angle, the object would overcome the friction and move.

what is the object that is on the board? without that, i don't think u can determine the coefficient of friction. if we know what it is, we could make a reasonable guess as to the surface it has, and how that surface will interact with the surface of the board of wood, idk if this'll help u but I am doing physics homework right now and i loked up the coefficient of friction for wood on wood:

coefficient for static friction = .58

coefficient for kinetic friction = .4

hope that helps :s

mrkrupa said:
now I am all confused... Do I need to estimate a height, use that to get the angle from my attachment above, then take that angle put it into tan(x) to get the coefficent?

No, you are estimating the coefficient of friction (LHS of the equation I gave you the hint about).

So...if mu = coef. of friction and x is the angle as shown in your diagram then...

mu = tan(x)

Using one of the estimated values from the link (say wood and brick) we have

mu = 0.6

So the arctangent of 0.6 is about 30.96 degrees which equals x.

Since you know x now, you can use some basic trig to find the height.

oh, ok

I got the angle of x to be 26.57 degrees, and then the height to be 41.18cm.

Thank you for the help

one more thing, is there a unit for the .5?

mrkrupa said:
one more thing, is there a unit for the .5?

If 0.5 is the coef. of friction then the answer is no.

It is a ratio, thus has no units.

ok, thank you

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

Frictional force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It depends on the materials and surface conditions of the objects in contact.

4. How does the weight of an object affect frictional force?

The weight of an object does not directly affect frictional force. However, the normal force, which is equal to the weight of an object in a stationary position, does affect the frictional force. A heavier object will have a greater normal force and therefore a greater frictional force.

5. How does the length of an object affect frictional force?

The length of an object does not directly affect frictional force. However, the area of contact between the object and the surface does affect frictional force. A longer object will have a larger area of contact and therefore a greater frictional force.