Fix Horizontal Line on Computer Screen

In summary, the person's computer screen began to have a black horizontal line that would occasionally disappear and reappear. After following one of the suggestions, the line completely disappeared when pressure was applied to the screen.
Eezekiel
Recently a thin black horizontal line appeared across my computer screen. At first it was there for a while then went away, now it seems to be permanently there. Anyone know why it is there or how to get get rid of it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you happen to have a Trinitron monitor? Sony's monitors have two very thin lines that are shadows that get projected on the screen. They are shadows of the stabilizing wires the monitor has. I noticed them right away, but after a day or so, I don't even see them any more.

If that's not what it is, can you tell if it is monitor or video card related?

I have an HP pavilion zv6000 laptop. The line is thin but very noticable. What is video card?

I also have an old HP (omnibook 900) laptop with a vertical line down the screen. At first it wasn't noticeable; it seemed to fade in and out. Then as time went by, the line became a little broader and the color seemed to be white with red boundaries. Its fairly broad; about 1/16 of an inch.

I tried seeing if there was a problem with my video connector, but it seemed okay. So maybe its my video card. I tried it was an external monitor, the secondary screen displayed fine. So I concluded that its a problem with the screen - physically damaged. Yup, my lappy has taken quite a beating over the years.

Last edited:
Eezekiel said:
I have an HP pavilion zv6000 laptop. The line is thin but very noticable. What is video card?

The video card is the hardware interface between the CPU and the monitor. For most practical purposes you might consider it to be a computer itself.

Your problem sounds like one of the monitor row drivers is defective.

Does the line persist if you apply a little stress to the frame of the screen?

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/08/17/bad-video-on-lcd-screen/all-comments/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes as a matter of fact the line completely disappeared simply by applying some pressure as to stretch the screen. However the line came back again about 2 min later. What is the deal?

Eezekiel, it seems like a bad screen. But to be sure, have you tried the other suggestions that I posted or from the link that NoTime posted? According to one of the posters, disassembling the display setup, along with fiddling with the connectors and the inverter board has fixed the problem.

1. What causes a horizontal line to appear on my computer screen?

There could be several reasons for a horizontal line to appear on your computer screen. It could be due to a faulty graphics card, a loose connection between the screen and the computer, or a damaged screen.

2. How can I fix a horizontal line on my computer screen?

The solution to fixing a horizontal line on your computer screen depends on the cause. You can try restarting your computer, checking the connections, or updating your graphics card drivers. If the line is due to a damaged screen, you may need to replace it.

3. Can a horizontal line on my computer screen be a sign of a virus?

No, a horizontal line on your computer screen is not a common sign of a virus. It is more likely caused by a hardware issue. However, it is always a good idea to run a virus scan to rule out any potential threats.

4. Why does my computer screen have multiple horizontal lines?

If there are multiple horizontal lines on your computer screen, it could be due to a damaged graphics card or a faulty screen. It is recommended to seek professional help to diagnose and fix the issue.

5. Can I prevent horizontal lines from appearing on my computer screen?

To prevent horizontal lines from appearing on your computer screen, make sure to handle your computer and its components with care. Avoid dropping or mishandling your device, and regularly update your graphics card drivers. You can also invest in a surge protector to protect your device from power surges.