Out of the Loop (no pun intended)

• Thread starter Devious Squir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of creating an electrical current using magnetic fields and ferrous metals, specifically mentioning an electric generator. The idea of utilizing Earth's magnetic field, a rotating circuit in orbit, and space elevators as power cables is also mentioned.
Devious Squir
Hey, its been over 6 years since i studied physics seriously, was letting my mind wonder today when i hit upon an idea unfortunately i can't remember the exact physics involved.

Basically i remember something about being able to create an electrical current using magnetic fields and ferous metals moving within this field, can't remember the exact requirements or calculations though, could someone please help me?

Thanks one and all,
Squire

*edited some typos >.<*

Physics news on Phys.org
Just point out, no longer in education, sorry if this would be classed as the homework section though :S

Welcome to PF Devious,

What you describe is an electric generator. http://amasci.com/amateur/coilgen.html" has a video demonstration as well as some elementary theory regarding [AC] generators.
Devious Squir said:
Just point out, no longer in education, sorry if this would be classed as the homework section though :S
Nope, it isn't classed as homework and you've posted it in the right place :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
*Chuckle*

thanks, and now for my idea (its a gradeous one so feel free to laugh and the impossiblity of it) basically, the magnetic field is Earth's, the rotation circuit is a massive ring in orbit of the world, thirdly several of the "space elveators" that NASA are on about these days act as power cables to the surface of the planet, result, massive "free" energy source.

1. What is "Out of the Loop"?

"Out of the Loop" is a common phrase used to describe someone who is not aware of or involved in a particular situation or topic.

2. How does being "Out of the Loop" affect someone?

Being "Out of the Loop" can cause feelings of exclusion, confusion, and frustration. It can also lead to misunderstandings and missed opportunities for collaboration or decision-making.

3. What are some common causes of being "Out of the Loop"?

Some common causes include lack of communication, exclusion from a group or conversation, or simply not being informed about a specific topic or event.

4. How can someone avoid being "Out of the Loop"?

To avoid being "Out of the Loop," it is important to maintain open and effective communication with those around you. Keep yourself informed about relevant topics and events, and actively seek out opportunities for collaboration and involvement.

5. How can being "Out of the Loop" be beneficial?

While being "Out of the Loop" can have negative effects, it can also offer a fresh perspective and allow for unbiased decision-making. It can also be a valuable learning experience, as it encourages individuals to seek out information and stay informed.