Intrinsic Carrier Concentration for Carbon

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of carbon electrical properties and the search for intrinsic carrier concentration properties for carbon. The individual is seeking help in finding this information, as well as asking if the electron affinity property for carbon nanotubes differs from that of original carbon. It is mentioned that the carrier concentration and electron affinity may vary depending on the type of carbon, such as graphene, graphite, carbon nanotubes, and diamond. The individual also mentions that the electron affinity may change between different forms of carbon due to factors such as steric pressure and structure.
TuTuTuTuTu
Hello everyone.
Right now I'm learning about carbon electrical properties for my final assignment in college. But somehow i just can't find the intrinsic carrier concentration properties for carbon.

I've found the graphics that show me the relationship between the intrinsic carrier concentration and temperature, but just for Germanium, Silicon and GaAs. Could someone help me with this problem ?

Oh, and one more question. Does the electron affinity property for carbon nanotubes (CNT) is different from the original carbon ?
I read that electron affinity is an invariant fundamental property of the specified material, so i wondered whether it'll be the same or not for carbon and CNT.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably depends on the type of carbon you are talking about:
graphene is a single layer of carbon it has a carrier concentration of around 10^10 1/cm^2 at room temperature
graphite which is multiple layers of carbon stacked on itself (like in your pencil)
Carbon nanotubes have carrier concentrations that very with the chirality and can range between appriximately 10^4 and 10^20 1/cm^3 depending if they are metallic or semiconducting
Diamond I have no clue
Then there are molecules like C60 and C70

Off the top of my head I would say the electron affinity would change between the different forms of carbon. For instance in small diameter CNTs you have steric pressure that will change the electron clouds etc. Then look at diamond you have a very rigid tetrahedral structure that does not really conduct. Don't take my word for it though.

1. What is intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon?

Intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon is a measure of the number of charge carriers (electrons and holes) that are naturally present in a carbon material at thermal equilibrium, without the presence of any external doping impurities. It is a key parameter in understanding the electrical properties of carbon-based materials.

2. How is intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon calculated?

There are various theoretical models and equations that can be used to calculate the intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon, depending on the specific carbon material and its properties. One commonly used approach is the bandgap model, which takes into account the energy bandgap and effective mass of electrons and holes in the material.

3. What factors affect the intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon?

The intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon is influenced by several factors, including temperature, crystal structure, and impurities present in the material. Generally, higher temperatures lead to an increase in intrinsic carrier concentration, while the presence of impurities can significantly alter the value.

4. Why is intrinsic carrier concentration important in carbon-based materials?

Intrinsic carrier concentration is an important parameter in understanding the electrical properties of carbon-based materials. It helps determine the material's conductivity, mobility, and other key characteristics that are crucial for various applications, such as in electronic devices or energy conversion devices.

5. Can intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon be modified?

Yes, the intrinsic carrier concentration for carbon can be modified through various methods, such as doping with impurities or changing the temperature or crystal structure of the material. These modifications can greatly impact the electrical properties of the material and can be used to tailor its performance for specific applications.