Between love and failure of Mathematics.

In summary: I think I can approach learning mathematics in a different way. I'll be more motivated to study mathematics if I know that I can enjoy it and that it can be useful for me. I am not going to study mathematics as a major but I'll study it on my own along with a major in engineering that doesn't require advanced mathematics. Whenever I see a problem and fail to solve it, I start questioning my ability in mathematics and whether this newly born interest is worth feeding or not because what is the point of learning something I do not excel at nor makes me feel happy despite the fact that I love it and admire it. Should I give up this imaginery dream or should I start studying Mathematics regardless of performance and without self evaulation ?
racer
Hello there

I don't know what to say but I love mathematics and at the same time I don't excel at it with a history full of suffering and failurein mathematics. I do prepare for mathematics but I still find problem in understanding or precisely I slowly understand while I know few who excel remarkably in math and physics without spending half of the time I do in preparing and learning math, I don't want to compare myself to others but I just don't think learning something that I don't excel is going to beneficial, if I can't understand fast in a science that needs a mathematical intelligence, why bother learning math that I will not be able to discover anything at? I am talking about advanced mathematics not the necessary easy mathematics. I don't know if I am expecting too much out of myself because those who excel love mathematics since childhood while my interest is newly born. I am not going to study mathematics as a major but I'll study it on my own along with a major in engineering that doesn't require advanced mathematics. Whenever I see a problem and fail to solve it, I start questioning my ability in mathematics and whether this newly born interest is worth feeding or not because what is the point of learning something I do not excel at nor makes me feel happy despite the fact that I love it and admire it. Should I give up this imaginery dream or should I start studying Mathematics regardless of performance and without self evaulation ? any advice?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
racer, you have a serious academic problem with conventions of writing. This might be related to your mathematical learning. You need to focus on the sentence unit and grammar. You should formally and rigorously study English Grammar and Usage. As for your interest in Mathematics and the difficulties you find with Mathematics; you really should study it if you are so interested. You should also restudy things many times, even if you already gained course credit. You learn better when you study something again; not when you refuse to study it again. Ultimately, you might be unable to earn a degree in Mathematics, but that does not mean that you should not study some important main courses of Mathematics. You could find parts of Mathematics to be very useful for quantitative problem solving; in fact, using certain parts of Math as a tool is often easier than formally studying Mathematics courses.

Study good English skills, and continue studying and restudying Mathematics.

racer, you have a serious academic problem with conventions of writing. This might be related to your mathematical learning. You need to focus on the sentence unit and grammar. You should formally and rigorously study English Grammar and Usage

I am going to acquire writing and grammatical skills sooner or later and by the way, English is not my native language and I don't agree with you on the part of relationship between mathematical learning and linguistics ability because there are many people I know who are talented at Mathematics who don't write or speak their own language nor English fluently.

As for your interest in Mathematics and the difficulties you find with Mathematics; you really should study it if you are so interested. You should also restudy things many times, even if you already gained course credit. You learn better when you study something again; not when you refuse to study it again. Ultimately, you might be unable to earn a degree in Mathematics, but that does not mean that you should not study some important main courses of Mathematics. You could find parts of Mathematics to be very useful for quantitative problem solving; in fact, using certain parts of Math as a tool is often easier than formally studying Mathematics courses.

I think I can earn a B.S Degree in Mathematics but according to my performance, I do not think I'll excel at Math. I am going to study necessary Mathematics courses on my own for couple years to see if my math skills improve or not then I'll decide whether to pursue my dreams or to stop. I don't excel at Mathematics but I can understand and I once solved a problem in math that a talented peers could not solve.

I am really thinking of children learning approach, they don't really care about whether if they can solve a problem or not, they learn and feel happy learning something they like regardless of their performance, their happiness and self esteem do not depend on their performance.

Thanks for your advice.

1. What is the connection between love and failure of Mathematics?

The connection between love and failure of Mathematics is not a direct one. However, studies have shown that individuals who have a strong passion and love for mathematics are less likely to fail in the subject. This is because love for mathematics can motivate and drive individuals to put in more effort and time into understanding the subject, leading to better performance and less chance of failure.

2. How does love impact one's ability to learn Mathematics?

Love can have a significant impact on one's ability to learn Mathematics. When an individual loves a subject, their brain releases dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is associated with motivation and pleasure. This can enhance their ability to focus and retain information, making it easier for them to learn and understand mathematical concepts.

3. Can failure in Mathematics affect one's love life?

Failure in Mathematics does not directly affect one's love life. However, it can lead to feelings of frustration, low self-esteem, and lack of confidence, which can indirectly impact relationships. Additionally, if an individual has a strong passion for mathematics and continuously fails in the subject, it can cause them to question their abilities and potentially lead to a loss of interest in the subject.

4. How can one develop a love for Mathematics?

Developing a love for Mathematics is a gradual process that requires patience and effort. One way to start is by trying to understand the practical applications of mathematics in everyday life. This can help individuals see the relevance and importance of the subject. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also make learning mathematics more enjoyable and help develop a love for the subject.

5. Is it possible to succeed in Mathematics without having a love for the subject?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in Mathematics without having a love for the subject. While love and passion can be motivating factors, success in mathematics also depends on factors such as dedication, hard work, and practice. As long as an individual is willing to put in the effort and time to understand the subject, they can achieve success in Mathematics, even without a strong love for it.