Need switchable mp3/audio player (repost)

• Thread starter nanoWatt
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for an mp3 or audio player that can play specific tracks by pressing multiple buttons simultaneously. They mention wanting to create a "chordic keyboard" using small pushbuttons and need an mp3 player that can respond to different inputs. They have found a programmable unit online for $500 but only need a multi-selectable one and are willing to solder or wire if necessary. They also note that this task can now be easily done on a smartphone.
nanoWatt
I think I posted this to the wrong thread before so will need to remove it from the Engineering one.

I'm not sure what it's called, but I need an mp3 or audio player that will allow me to select which track I want to play with the push of a few simultaneous buttons.

The tracks will be little 2-5 second snippets of a certain voice saying a phrase.

So if I pushed button 1 & 2 together, it would play track 1 for instance, and then stop.

I think the input could be called a chordic keyboard, which I could make using small pushbuttons in a handheld unit. I just need an mp3 player that responds to the various inputs. I might have up to 100 tracks, the longest of which might be 30 seconds or a minute.

I looked online, and one site wanted around $500 for a programmable unit. I don't need it programmable, just multi-selectable. I can solder or wire if needed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Eleven years on, this can be easily be done in software on a smartphone.

Likes davenn

1. What is a switchable mp3/audio player?

A switchable mp3/audio player is a device that can play both mp3 files and other audio formats, such as WAV or AAC. It allows users to switch between different audio sources without having to use multiple devices.

2. Why would I need a switchable mp3/audio player?

A switchable mp3/audio player is useful for those who have a variety of audio files in different formats and want to be able to play them all on one device. It also eliminates the need for multiple devices, making it more convenient for users.

3. Can I use a switchable mp3/audio player to listen to streaming music?

It depends on the specific device. Some switchable mp3/audio players have the capability to connect to the internet and stream music, while others may only be able to play locally stored audio files.

4. Are switchable mp3/audio players expensive?

It varies depending on the brand and features of the device. Some budget-friendly options are available, but more advanced models may be more expensive.

5. How do I switch between audio sources on a switchable mp3/audio player?

Again, this depends on the specific device. Some may have buttons or a menu option to switch between audio sources, while others may automatically detect and play the next available source. It is best to consult the user manual for instructions on your specific device.