Need project ideas on quantum physics

In summary, Wallow is researching quantum physics and needs help coming up with an idea for a project. He is considering using semi-conductors to do something with transistors, but is worried about the power needed. Kare from Laser Weekly said that technology might reach that level in another 50 years.
Wallow
Hi, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right forum as this isn't a simple question-and-answer homework assignment, so please excuse me if this isn't in the right place. I posted this in a different forum earlier and I think it got deleted, so apologies for the double posting.

I'm a high school senior in an advanced class, and for fourth quarter we are doing independent projects. I chose quantum physics as my area of interest, which I sort of regret now... But I've been researching it all year, so it's too late now.

I need to spend a total of 80 hours on this project. It doesn't need to be one thing; it can be multiple projects. I had originally intended to build a particle accelerator, but have had to abandon it because I cannot find a way to generate a vacuum light enough. Now I'm stuck on ideas. I'm currently doing an experiment with an electron tube to determine the mass of an electron, but that won't take 80 hours and the rest of my project needs to be a bit more original than that.

Ideally it would be something with an independent variable that I could adjust and do multiple trials. I could get away with something that doesn't directly relate to quantum physics per se, so long as it could somehow be included in that umbrella. I've thought about diffraction experiments, but I can't think of anything other than a simple double-slit experiment.

Please, does anyone have any ideas? I would be eternally grateful.

Likes shrish24401
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Wallow! Welcome to PF! :smile:

How about something to do with semi-conductors (messing about with transistors, perhaps)? :smile:

I am fairly new. I need someone to point out what is wrong with the theory of using anti-matter to propel a ship in space. I suppose I should not have started with this since I have been out of school for a while. Parkin developed the idea of microwave thermal propulsion in 2001 and described a laboratory prototype in his 2006 Ph.D. Sending a spacecraft to a moon of Jupiter, for instance, would require a laser that gives billions of watts of power. “You’d have to have another couple generations of space-based telescopes to do something like that,” Kare says. “You can in fact launch an interstellar probe that way but now you’re talking about lasers that might be hundreds of billions of Watts of power.” Laser technology could reach those levels in another 50 years, he says. (Laser Weekly). Now if you take anti-matter and matter and smash together could you not create combustion to propel a ship? Maybe I'm out of my league. It's a theory. Thanks

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other through principles like superposition and entanglement.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in fields like chemistry, materials science, and computing.

3. What are some project ideas for studying quantum physics?

1. Investigating the properties of entangled particles and their potential applications in quantum computing.2. Studying the behavior of quantum systems under different types of measurements.3. Building a simple quantum circuit using qubits and exploring its capabilities.4. Examining the concept of quantum tunneling and its implications in various fields.5. Researching the principles of quantum teleportation and its potential for secure communication.

4. How do I approach a project on quantum physics?

First, it is important to have a basic understanding of quantum physics principles and concepts. Then, you can narrow down your topic of interest and conduct research on existing studies and experiments in that area. Finally, plan out your experiment or simulation and gather necessary materials or resources.

5. What are some resources for learning about quantum physics?

There are many online resources available, such as educational websites, video lectures, and online courses. Some recommended books on the topic include "Quantum Physics for Beginners" by Zbigniew Ficek and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It can also be helpful to attend lectures or workshops on quantum physics at universities or research institutions.