Should I Delay Graduation for Control Systems EE Electives?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of a student wanting to focus their undergraduate studies in control systems, but facing limited course options and the possibility of delaying graduation. The experts suggest considering taking relevant courses in graduate school and also exploring other areas of electrical engineering to broaden one's skills and creativity.
opticaltempest
Hello,

Let me clarify my questions.

Short version:

When applying to graduate school, does the admission committee often look at which electives you have taken in your major? Do they dislike applicants who take electives that don't seem focus on one specific specialty in that major?

Longer version with background information:

I am a junior electrical engineering major at a smaller engineering college. I have strong interests in pursuing a Master's degree in electrical engineering immediately after completing my bachelor's degree. I am strongly interested in studying control systems in graduate school. Since my college is a smaller engineering school, EE electives are often chosen by students strictly because those are the only EE electives being offered that semester.

Control Systems I is a required class in the EE major. My school offers Control Systems II and Digital Control Systems as EE electives. I really want to take these classes as I think they will help me in graduate school. However, they are both offered only once every three years! They will not be offered again until another 2 years. I will need to delay my graduation by 1 year just to take these classes.

Should I wait for these classes? In the meantime, I could take some extra math classes that would really help me for graduate study in control systems. I could also take some technical writing classes and perhaps some extra physics classes as well. Wouldn't this show a graduate school admissions committee that I have a strong focus on this subject and thereby improve my chances for admission?

Alternatively, I could take a range of EE electives that would give me an introductory background in many different specialties in EE. This would allow me to graduate sooner. However, I don't like this option since in graduate school, I would focus mainly on one area. I prefer using my undergraduate classes to strengthen my knowledge in a specific area.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd just take them in grad school. You're basically delaying a year so you won't be behind in grad school.

I'm pretty convinced that, unless your heart is set on MIT, they won't care too much. I agree with ekrim; apply to grad schools and take those classes when you get there.

edit: I missed the part where you said you want to focus your undergrad studies. This is a noble goal, and you may love controls heart and soul, but breadth is important to an engineer too - studying other areas can get your creativity flowing and it can only embiggen your bag of tricks. Not to mention you still have two years left; I'm not suggesting that you cheat on controls, but you may want to sow your wild oats now.

Last edited:
will.c said:
I'm pretty convinced that, unless your heart is set on MIT, they won't care too much. I agree with ekrim; apply to grad schools and take those classes when you get there.

edit: I missed the part where you said you want to focus your undergrad studies. This is a noble goal, and you may love controls heart and soul, but breadth is important to an engineer too - studying other areas can get your creativity flowing and it can only embiggen your bag of tricks. Not to mention you still have two years left; I'm not suggesting that you cheat on controls, but you may want to sow your wild oats now.

A very cromulent point.

I don't know how your grading scheme works but if for example classes in the first year don't count heavily toward your degree class this would be a good time to do some courses on eg. circuit design or software eng. which will come in useful later.

1. Should I delay graduation for control systems EE electives?

It depends on your individual goals and priorities. If you are planning to pursue a career in control systems engineering, then taking additional electives in this area may be beneficial and could potentially make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities. However, if graduating on time is important to you, it may be better to focus on completing your required courses and gaining practical experience through internships or research projects.

2. Will delaying graduation for control systems EE electives affect my job prospects?

Not necessarily. Employers value both technical knowledge and practical experience. If you have a strong foundation in control systems and can demonstrate your skills through internships or projects, delaying graduation for electives may not have a significant impact on your job prospects.

3. Are there any disadvantages to delaying graduation for control systems EE electives?

One potential disadvantage is the additional cost of tuition and living expenses for an extra semester or year. Additionally, delaying graduation may push back your entrance into the job market, which could potentially affect your earning potential in the long run.

4. Will taking control systems EE electives make me a better engineer?

Taking electives in control systems can certainly enhance your knowledge and skills in this specific area of engineering. However, it is important to also gain a broad understanding of other areas in electrical engineering to be a well-rounded engineer. It is ultimately up to you to decide if taking electives in control systems aligns with your career goals and interests.

5. How do I decide if delaying graduation for control systems EE electives is the right choice for me?

Consider your career goals and priorities, as well as the potential impact delaying graduation may have on your finances and job prospects. You can also speak with academic advisors, professors, and professionals in the field to get their insights and advice. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what will best serve your individual needs and goals.