Electrostatic Forces on Particles

So, in summary, the ratio of velocities between the astatine nucleus and the alpha particle is equal to the square root of the ratio of their masses.
DMac
[SOLVED] Electrostatic Forces on Particles

"An Astatine 219 nucleus and an alpha particle at a spacing of 1.5 x 10^-15 m are formed during alpha decay. If the initial velocity of the two particles is zero, calculate the ratio of their velocities."

I was thinking of making a ratio of their kinetic energy, but I'm not sure if that's simplifying the problem too much.

If I make a ratio, I get:
.5 x m1 x v1^2 : .5 x m2 x v2^2

v1
--- = sqrt [m2 / m1]
v2

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right to me. Conservation of kinetic energy is a handy trick!

I'm just not sure if it can be done any other way...because I certainly cannot use force (since force varies with the distance, just like the gravitational potential well). So all I could think of was energy.

However, I'm particularly unsure because my manipulation basically equates the two kinetic energies; that is, the energy of the alpha particle is the same as that of the astatine particle.

Yes, the energies are the same, but the velocities are different.
This is due to the different masses.

What are electrostatic forces on particles?

Electrostatic forces on particles refer to the attractive or repulsive forces between electrically charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

How do electrostatic forces affect the behavior of particles?

Electrostatic forces can cause particles to attract or repel each other, influencing their movement and position. These forces play a crucial role in determining the structure and properties of matter.

What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to electrostatic forces?

Coulomb's Law states that the magnitude of electrostatic force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law helps us calculate the strength of electrostatic forces between particles.

What factors affect the strength of electrostatic forces on particles?

The strength of electrostatic forces depends on the magnitude and sign of the charges on the particles, as well as the distance between them. The force increases with increasing charge and decreases with increasing distance.

How are electrostatic forces on particles used in real-world applications?

Electrostatic forces play a role in many everyday phenomena, such as the attraction between clothes and a dryer, the shock you feel when you touch a doorknob, and the operation of devices like printers and air purifiers. They are also crucial in technologies such as electrostatic precipitators and particle accelerators.