Can I Take 213 and 214 with Mechanics: Advice for Balancing Physics Courses?

• Courses
  • Thread starter confusedguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, taking 4 physics undergraduate courses, including mechanics, electricity/magnetism, fluids and thermal, and waves and quantum, simultaneously may be challenging and may not result in thorough learning. It is recommended to take E&M and mechanics first, followed by thermo/fluid and wave/optics, and possibly an advanced physics lab class as a third course. It is also advised to avoid taking too many difficult math and physics courses at once, and to spread them out over the course of your undergraduate studies.
confusedguy
I am planning on taking 4 physics undergraduate courses: Phys 211 (mechanics), 212 (electric/magnetism), 213 (fluids and thermal), 214 (waves and quantum)

Is it possible to take 213 and 214 concurrently with mechanics without much trouble? How much mechanics and electricity/magnetism material do you have to know to do well in 213 and 214? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your first mechanics course?

If so, you won't be able to do waves or fluids. If you've already had a term of mechanics, you can go ahead.

I have no way to answer this without being intimately familiar with your school's curriculum.

In general, taking all of those simultaneously sounds like putting yourself in for a lot of pain and probably not doing as well in them as you could otherwise.

My humble opinion: you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt. The basic courses of phyisics are tremendously important if you want to be successful in further physics (or engineering) study.

Your efforts should go toward thorough learning, rather than fast learning.

Hard to say, not knowing the school and your previous classes, but if I had to give a recommendation I would say take the E&M and mechanics course now, and the thermo/fluid and wave/optics class later.

If you want to take a third physics class with E&M and mechanics, I would suggest something like an advanced physics lab class. Something hands-on.

I made the mistake of taking too many difficult math and physics courses simultaneously. You might want to try to take one math and one physics course per semester for your first two years, then, if you feel up to the challenge, begin loading them up as a junior. Besides, you do not want to be a fifth year senior and have to spend one or two semesters taking GE courses that you failed to take as an underclassman in order to graduate.

1. What courses should I take to fulfill my major requirements?

It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the specific courses required for your major. Additionally, you can refer to your university's academic catalog or website for a list of major requirements.

2. How many credits should I take per semester?

The number of credits you should take per semester will depend on your academic abilities, personal schedule, and major requirements. It is generally recommended to take between 12-18 credits per semester, but again, it is best to consult with your academic advisor for personalized recommendations.

3. Can I take courses outside of my major?

Yes, most universities encourage students to take courses outside of their major to broaden their knowledge and skills. These courses are often referred to as general education or elective courses.

4. What are the prerequisites for certain courses?

Prerequisites are courses that must be completed before taking a higher-level course. These requirements are typically listed in the course description or academic catalog. It is important to make sure you have completed all necessary prerequisites before enrolling in a course.

5. Can I change my course selection after the semester has started?

It depends on your university's policies and the course availability. Some universities allow students to add or drop courses within a certain timeframe after the semester has started. However, it is best to consult with your academic advisor and the course instructor before making any changes to your course selection.