What are the rules for the PF Quiz #3 on Sunday at 11AM CST?

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
In summary, Kurdt will be running a quiz on Sunday at 11AM CST. Members in the chat room should not carry on any conversation while the quiz is running nor seek any clarification over the questions. Answers given after the reveal, correct or not, will not count. If you have 7 clear guesses then you will be disqualified from the question.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
With Zz's absence this Sunday, I have prepared a PF quiz and will run it if enough people are interested and chat is up.

The quiz will start at 11AM CST. The quiz consists of 30 general knowledge questions and should therefore take no more than an hour.

RULES

1. Members in the quiz room should not carry on any conversation while the quiz is running nor seek any clarification over the questions.
  2. Members should use white font only and refrain from using italics or bold.
  3. Members will be permitted only one chance at answering each question. Members giving more than one answer will be disqualified from that question even if one of their answers is correct.
  4. The first member to answer the question correctly as determined by what is displayed on the chat screen will receive 1 point. I will acknowledge the answer by typing "{PF member} correct".
  5. There will be a time limit of approximately 1 minute after the question is displayed. If there is no correct answer I will reveal it and that question will then be closed. If I've started typing when someone answers and the chat shows that correct answer before my revealed answer, then they will receive 1 point for the question. All answers after the reveal, correct or not, will not count.
  6. There will be breaks during the quiz after each set of ten questions.
  7. Have fun :smile:

Anyone wanting to join in pay particular attention to rule #3 and #7. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Sounds good Kurdt; I'll be there!

Kurdt, If I start yapping about the weather between questions (in violation of #1), will you disqualify my 7 guesses to the previous question: Cruithne, It's, really, hot, and, humid, here?

Excelent Kurdt!

Gokul43201 said:
Kurdt, If I start yapping about the weather between questions (in violation of #1), will you disqualify my 7 guesses to the previous question: Cruithne, It's, really, hot, and, humid, here?
Cruithne? Have you been handed a copy of my quiz? *Quickly finds another question*

If you have 7 clear guesses then yes you will be disqualified from the question. I'm not looking to spoil anyone's fun by excluding a bit of banter between members, just make sure its clear that I know its banter and not a guess or answer. I know Zz was lenient in the first quiz on rule one and that went ok. This is not an invitation for people to be excessively silly or else I'll have to employ Evo's kicking boots (if she doesn't mind) if the enjoyment for others is being spoiled. :tongue2:

I introduced rule 3 because I know a number of people requested it. We can consider this as a trial run of that rule.

I think that having the rule that only one answer per participant is a good idea. It provides an added consideration to the strategy: "Do I google the answer and risk someone else answering correctly ahead of me, or do I simply blurt out the answer that I am only 50% sure of?"

Zz.

I think 50% makes for blurtworthy odds.

If the category is science, Gokul shouldn't be allowed to play. :biggrin:

<Evo will never go up against Gokul in a science quiz>

I'll make a science quiz for one of these chats, in a couple weeks or so.

Gokul43201 said:
Ooooh, I love your quizes!

Gokul43201 said:

Sounds like fun! Just 1 question, will you be accepting bribes in exchange for the correct answers (and their respective questions)?

RetardedBastard said:
Sounds like fun! Just 1 question, will you be accepting bribes in exchange for the correct answers (and their respective questions)?

Last week, you might have been able to get to Evo with chocolate; I don't know what it will take to get to Kurdt.

Quiz today at 11AM CST!

Evo said:
Quiz today at 11AM CST!

11AM CDT?

Another quiz that I'm going to miss! :grumpy:

11AM CT is 1PM AT (my time), and the boss wants to eat lunch at the Saint John Greek Fest, which is being held about one kilometre from our place.

Hmmm ... Souvlaki and greek salad? Or moussaka, pastitsio, and greek salad?

George Jones said:
11AM CDT?

11AM CT is 1PM AT (my time), and the boss wants to eat lunch at the Saint John Greek Fest, which is being held about one kilometre from our place.

on a sunday ?

or the boss=your wife ?

marlon said:
on a sunday ?

or the boss=your wife ?

Well, what did you say a little while ago on chat about relationships?

George Jones said:
Well, what did you say a little while ago on chat about relationships?

I am sorry, but i never recall my own words.

I know, that's just sad...

marlon

George Jones said:
11AM CDT?

Yes!

Join us after the feast, if you can still move.

isn't the quiz about to begin in two minutes ?

guess not, clearly 11 am CST does not equal 5pm in Belgiummarlon

marlon said:
guess not, clearly 11 am CST does not equal 5pm in Belgium

marlon

11am CST is 6pm in Belgium.

marlon said:
guess not, clearly 11 am CST does not equal 5pm in Belgium

marlon

Seven hour time difference between North America Central and Belgium.

I see you survived the explosion marlon.

It will start in 45 minutes if chat is on today. *looks worried* :uhh:

Kurdt said:
What happened !?

Greg is usually awake by 11Am, but it won't give you much time to set up and practice, if you're not ready at 11Am, we can make it a bit later.

Evo said:
Greg is usually awake by 11Am, but it won't give you much time to set up and practice, if you're not ready at 11Am, we can make it a bit later.

Yes I was going to suggest delaying it for a bit if chat wasn't up a reasonable amount of time before the start.

Kurdt said:

haha, yes, but it sure was a big one

yet it did not influence the big parties going on 24/7

ciao
marlon

Since chat is already a half hour late opening, I suggest we make it about an hour after chat actually opens (on the hour or half hour I suppose), whatever time that is. (Besides, that might mean I can get back in time for it...I have some more stuff to do this morning before I chat.)

Evo said:

i got up at 2 pm today

Is there a reason I can not post ? :frown:

edit
Oh, it worked ! :uhh:

humanino said:

There's a forum bug which means that contributors without any other medals cannot post in the feedback forum-- their posts go into the moderation queue. Greg is aware of the problem.

cristo said:
There's a forum bug which means that contributors without any other medals cannot post in the feedback forum. Greg is aware of the problem.
Now that's conspiracy against my new status :rofl:

humanino said:

edit
Oh, it worked ! :uhh:

hey, where is your science advisor medal ?

humanino said:

:rofl: Yup, that's the idea :wink:

humanino said:
Yes, we are going to harrass you until you put your SA medal back on. :grumpy: