Black Dot in Vision: What Is It?

• Medical
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot Vision
In summary, Dave's black dot in his vision is probably just a floater, but it's been bothering him for a few weeks now and he should go to the doctor to have it checked out.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Lately I've noticed a black dot in the vision of my right eye (a few weeks now). I'm used to floaters, this is different - it's black. Other than that, it's much like a floater: it's out of focus and, while it seems to move around, I think that's just my eye movements (I don't see how it could move around on its own yet still return to the same spot day after day).

I only tend to notice it when I read my monitor with my left eye closed (quite common when tired - a bad habit since I was young.) I sit facing a bright window which may contribute to my ability to see it.

I guess it's just a floater of some particularly dark material?

Biology news on Phys.org
What did your doctor say?

Hopefully it's not your retina ! Did you plan an appointment to the ophthalmologist ?

It does sound different from a floater, since floaters usually, well, float.

I'd ask your doctor about it. I don't know how old your are, but macular degeneration is fairly common in older people. My dad has it - he says it's a black spot in the center of his vision.

go to the doctor, go to the doctor, go to the doctor

DaveC426913 said:
I guess it's just a floater of some particularly dark material?
Probably, floaters are bits of tissue that have become detached and they can differ in size and density. Since this is a new development and could be a signal that something more serious could be happening. Go to the doctor and get it checked!

Evo said:
Probably, floaters are bits of tissue that have become detached and they can differ in size and density. Since this is a new development and could be a signal that something more serious could be happening. Go to the doctor and get it checked!
Yeah! A persistent black dot could be the retina (possibly detachment), i.e. the cells are not transmitting impluses into optic nerve system. The floaters should 'float' away or move in the field of vision.

I guess I was figuring that a floater wasn't quite a doctor-worthy development.

I've been wondering if it's relatively common with everyone or if it's tied to being in my 40's. Or to Diabetes.

Yeah. I guess I'd better book an appointment.

lisab said:
It does sound different from a floater, since floaters usually, well, float.

I'd ask your doctor about it. I don't know how old your are, but macular degeneration is fairly common in older people. My dad has it - he says it's a black spot in the center of his vision.

From his name (Dave), I would have figured him to be somewhere between 40 and 50.

Dave's popularity over the years (Ehh, you can't link to a search, so you have to search Dave's popularity yourself. I searched back 100 years figuring there wasn't much chance he'd be older than that.)

BobG said:
From his name (Dave), I would have figured him to be somewhere between 40 and 50.

Dave's popularity over the years (Ehh, you can't link to a search, so you have to search Dave's popularity yourself. I searched back 100 years figuring there wasn't much chance he'd be older than that.)

But "DaveC426913" wasn't recognized :rolleyes: .

DaveC426913 said:
Lately I've noticed a black dot in the vision of my right eye (a few weeks now). I'm used to floaters, this is different - it's black. Other than that, it's much like a floater: it's out of focus and, while it seems to move around, I think that's just my eye movements (I don't see how it could move around on its own yet still return to the same spot day after day).
I have the same thing for the last few years now. I recently booked an appointment with an ophthalmologist, but of course I had to go to the lab and cancel the appointment :rolleyes: I guess I'll make a new one tomorrow.

Dave don't wait, or put off going. As a matter of fact you should tell them{Drs office} it may be a emergency. Astro is right its the first sign of a rip or hole in the retina, which MUST be looked at right away.

DaveC426913 said:
I guess I was figuring that a floater wasn't quite a doctor-worthy development.
I can't add to what neu said unless it would be: go to the doctor.
I only ever had one floater and it sent me to a doctor immediately. I was sure I was going blind. I won't panic if I get another one. But if I had a black dot for a couple of weeks, a doctor would have looked at it by now.

DaveC426913 said:
I've been wondering if it's relatively common with everyone or if it's tied to being in my 40's. Or to Diabetes.

Yeah. I guess I'd better book an appointment.
You're Diabetic?
In diabetic retinopathy, the blood vessels in the back of the eye (retina) may rupture and leak. This causes parts of the retina to die and results in a loss of vision where the leaking occurred.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/diabetic.htm

Let's not speculate too much, it should be clear it is better to have it checked out by a professional who can judge the situation. It's always good to have your eyes checked once in a while, so the visit will be worth while.

Yes, typically a black dot(s) in the vision is from blood in the eye. It can be caused from diabetes, or some other things. The only way to have it removed is to have the vitreous sucked out and replaced with a gel, which isn't a good thing. Please go to a doctor!

Well, I finally saw an ophthalmologist today and my eyes are fine. Apparently the spot I'm seeing is a spot of pigment that most people have on their eyes, but since it is present from your birth most people don't see it. Only when you become aware of it you will keep seeing it :rolleyes:

Oh I hope I never see mine, that could make me crazy! Glad to hear it something normal.

Monique said:
Well, I finally saw an ophthalmologist today and my eyes are fine.
hypatia said:
Glad to hear it something normal.
Hey, that was s'posed to be my sympathy. Get yer own thread. :cry:

My appointment's on Monday. but it's only an Opto. Couldn't afford an Opthamo.

DaveC426913 said:
Hey, that was s'posed to be my sympathy. Get yer own thread. :cry:

My appointment's on Monday. but it's only an Opto. Couldn't afford an Opthamo.

Aw, but I was actually hoping that we would hear something from you. An optometrist can make diagnoses, so that is fine. I said ophthalmologist, but I meant optometrist. I do need to see an ophthalmologist for more extensive testing of my field of vision because glaucoma runs in the family, they want to make a t=0 to which they can compare future examinations. Just make sure that the optometrist that you are seeing is a well-trained person who takes time to examine your eyes.

Hope your appointment went well. Let's us know.

Dave, we are still waiting...

Whoops. Sorry. Dunno why my subscription list didn't pick this thread up.

My eyes are perfect. No dangerous floaters, no degeneration.

They took pictures of my retinae and put them on file (and sent them to me).

He also said: next time you see things in your vision, don't wait months for an appointment; come in immediately.

Thanks all.

1. What causes the black dot in my vision?

The black dot in your vision is typically caused by a floater, which is a tiny cluster of cells or protein fibers that cast a shadow on your retina. This is a normal occurrence and tends to become more common as you age.

2. Is the black dot in my vision a sign of a serious eye condition?

In most cases, the black dot in your vision is not a sign of a serious eye condition. However, if you notice a sudden increase in floaters or flashes of light in your vision, it is important to see an eye doctor as these could be signs of a retinal tear or detachment.

3. Can the black dot in my vision be removed?

In most cases, the black dot in your vision cannot be removed. Floaters are harmless and will eventually settle at the bottom of your eye, becoming less noticeable. Surgery to remove floaters is rare and only recommended in severe cases.

4. Are there any treatments for the black dot in my vision?

There are no specific treatments for the black dot in your vision, but there are some things you can do to reduce their appearance. These include moving your eyes up and down, side to side, or in a circular motion to shift the floaters out of your line of sight.

5. Is there a way to prevent the black dot in my vision?

There is no known way to prevent the black dot in your vision. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and protecting your eyes from injury or strain can help to reduce your risk of developing floaters.