Stumped can someone derive a formula for this single variable problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series of numbers with a 10-day average and a 3-day average. The 3-day average is divided by the 10-day average to arrive at a ratio. The oldest number is replaced with a new one, X, which is included in both averages. The formula for the new 3-day/10-day ratio is discussed and the conversation ends with a request for help in creating an Excel formula for it.
AD1985
You have 10 days of numbers that are averaged together (10 day avg). The most recent 3 days of numbers also averaged (3 day avg). The 3 day average is divided by the 10 day average to arrive at (3d/10d)

The oldest number in the series is dropped off and a new one, X, is added. X is the newest number and thus a part of both the day and 3 day average. The (3d/10d) remains the same. What is X?

I need to write a formula for this in excel! That means every computation on one side of the = sign, and I'm not even sure if Excel can take variables. I think the trick is figuring out the forumla for the new 3d/10d, but not sure. Any ideas?

http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3d10davged2.png

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Setting the two ratios (3day / 10day) equal, we get

[tex]
\frac{sum(b8..b10)}{sum(b1..b10)} = \frac{sum(b9..b10) + x}{sum(b2..b10)+x}
[/tex]

Solve that equation for x to get your answer.

Thank you! It's been a while since I've penciled down an algebra equation, let's see if this rusty old brain can get that X value now :)

1. What is the single variable problem in "Stumped"?

The single variable problem in "Stumped" refers to a mathematical equation or scenario that involves only one variable. This means that all the other variables in the equation or scenario are known or can be eliminated.

2. Why is it important to derive a formula for this problem?

Deriving a formula for a single variable problem allows us to understand and solve the problem more efficiently. It also helps us to generalize the solution and apply it to similar problems in the future.

3. What is the process of deriving a formula for a single variable problem?

The process of deriving a formula for a single variable problem involves identifying the variable, setting up the equation, and then using algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable. This may involve simplifying, factoring, or using other mathematical techniques.

4. Can any single variable problem be solved using a formula?

Not all single variable problems can be solved using a formula. Some problems may require numerical methods or other techniques to find a solution. It ultimately depends on the complexity and nature of the problem.

5. Are there any tips for successfully deriving a formula for a single variable problem?

Some tips for deriving a formula for a single variable problem include clearly defining the problem, organizing the given information, using appropriate mathematical techniques, and checking the solution for accuracy. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.