Is Nibiru Really Going to Collide with Earth in 2012?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, there is a conspiracy theory surrounding a supposed tenth planet called Nibiru or Planet X that is believed to collide with Earth in 2012. However, this theory has been debunked by scientists and there is no real scientific evidence to support it. It originated from a clay tablet found by the Sumerians and has been perpetuated by various myths and false calculations. Ultimately, this theory has been discredited and should not be taken seriously.
The_Absolute
I have been hearing rumors about this cosmic object, a planet/planetoid or some kind of meteor that supposed to collide with Earth in December of the year 2012 A.D, and utterly obliterate it and absolutely all it's inhabitants. Go google or youtube "Nibiru", and you will understand what I am saying. This conspiracy has really been unnerving for me, if you are a scientist, or a scientific professional especially in the area of astronomy, could you perhaps bebunk the Nibiru or "planet X" conspiracy for me to make me less frightened and stressed out?

I don't know the whole story, but alledgedly there is a tenth planet that makes an extremely close approach to Earth's orbit every few dozen thousand years or so, but this time (according to the Mayan callender long count and conspiracy theorists) it is either going to directly collide with earth, or make an approach that is so close, it could alter Earth's orbit.

Is there any real scientific evidence to back up this conspiracy? Or is it just a false conspiracy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is complete crackpottery. Pay it no mind.

Planet X: The Real Story

Then again, maybe nothing happens at all in 2003. You see, Planet X is like the perfect myth: the outcome of centuries of ill-omened rumors, laced with snippets of history and cosmology. But: it is still myth. Dream stuff.

It all began with a tablet of clay, uncovered in the Near East many years ago. On the tablet, the Sumerians, the earliest known inhabitants of the Middle East, jotted down something that looked like a solar system. Earth was there, and Saturn, and Jupiter -- as well as all other planets we know of today. But hey, aren’t there supposed to be nine planets? The clay tablet clearly displays eleven. The tenth one could be the moon, or the newly discovered mini-planet Sedna. But that still leaves you with one planet too many. Weird, isn’t it?Next came the astronomers. From the 1840s until deep into the 1980s, astronomy was haunted by a strange mystery. Something was not right with the orbits of the outer planets. Something really heavy seemed to be tugging at the outer planets Uranus and Neptune. Certain asteroids felt the mysterious pull, too. Must be an enormous planet out there, many astronomers assumed. Or several planets, even. This was how Planet X got its name: the term `X’ comes from the early-twentieth century astronomer Percival Lowell, best known for his study of the `canals’ on Mars.

But eventually, in the 1980s and 1990s, the riddle was solved. There appeared to be no mystery planet involved at all. Neither is there some mysterious force pulling on Neptune’s orbit. The astronomers simply had their orbit calculations wrong. But with better techniques, it all added up. By now, no serious astronomer believes in Planet X anymore. Exit Planet X.

From the awesome site http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

I can understand with the reference of Nostradamus prediction, you might be tempted to think that there will be a collision, No one can predict what this universe going to react, I do not think a collision will happen in 2012 it might be in 20012.

The_Absolute said:
Is there any real scientific evidence to back up this conspiracy?
Absolutely none.

It is complete and utter woo-wooism.

Necropost victims.

What is the theory behind the cosmic collision in 2012?

The theory of a cosmic collision in 2012 was based on misinterpretations of the ancient Mayan calendar and the idea that a planet called Nibiru would collide with Earth. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this theory.

Will a cosmic collision actually occur in 2012?

No, there is no evidence or scientific basis for a cosmic collision in 2012. The idea was based on a misinterpretation of the Mayan calendar and has been debunked by numerous scientists and experts.

What would happen if a cosmic collision did occur?

If a cosmic collision were to occur, it would depend on the size and speed of the object colliding with Earth. However, it is highly unlikely that a cosmic collision would occur in 2012 or any time in the near future.

Can we predict or prevent a cosmic collision?

While we have advanced technology and methods for detecting potential cosmic collisions, it is difficult to predict and prevent them with complete accuracy. However, the chances of a catastrophic cosmic collision are very low.

What can we learn from the false prediction of a cosmic collision in 2012?

The false prediction of a cosmic collision in 2012 serves as a reminder to be critical of information and claims, and to rely on scientific evidence rather than speculation. It also highlights the importance of fact-checking and verifying information before spreading it to others.