Calculating the boiling point of water

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure dependence of boiling and melting points of liquids, specifically water on different planets. The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is mentioned as the formula for calculating the boiling point. The melting temperature is also mentioned to be pressure-dependent but to a lesser extent compared to boiling temperature. The formula for calculating the change in melting temperature with respect to pressure is also mentioned.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi,
I'm looking through wikipedia for a formula to calculate the boiling point of liquids in function of the atmospheric pressure but I didn't find any.
In fact I'm curious what it would be for water on the Moon, Jupiter and so on.
By the way, is the fusion point pressure-dependent? I guess no.
So if a planet has a high pressure at ground level, I could heat up water and put a piece of iron and watching it being liquefied.

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
By the way, is the fusion point pressure-dependent? I guess no.

The melting temperature is indeed pressure-dependent, but the dependence is small compared to that of the boiling temperature. It's a function of the volume difference between the two phases, which is small and doesn't change much for solids and liquids.

Thank you very much to both.
Mapes said:
The melting temperature is indeed pressure-dependent, but the dependence is small compared to that of the boiling temperature. It's a function of the volume difference between the two phases, which is small and doesn't change much for solids and liquids.
Do you have the formula?

It's the same that mgb_phys mentioned, the Clausius-Clapeyron relation. For a phase change to occur (at constant temperature and pressure), the Gibbs free energies must be equal; i.e., [itex]\Delta G=0[/itex] when comparing the two phases. By definition, [itex]G=U+PV-TS[/itex], so [itex]\Delta G=\Delta U+P\Delta V-T\Delta S=0[/itex] and the change in phase change temperature for a given change in pressure is

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial P}=\frac{\Delta V}{\Delta S}[/tex]

For small changes, we can assume that [itex]\Delta V[/itex] and [itex]\Delta s[/itex] are constant and use the fact that [itex]\Delta S_M=\Delta H_M/T_M[/itex] at the melting temperature ([itex]G=H-TS[/itex] by definition). [itex]\Delta H_M[/itex] is the easily found enthalpy of fusion. So we end up with

[tex]\Delta T_M\approx\frac{T_M\Delta V}{\Delta H_M}\Delta P[/tex]

Thanks mapes.

What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is the temperature at which water changes from a liquid to a gas. It is typically measured at sea level and at standard atmospheric pressure, which is 100 degrees Celsius or 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

How is the boiling point of water calculated?

The boiling point of water can be calculated using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which takes into account the vapor pressure of water at a given temperature and the heat of vaporization. It can also be determined using a thermometer and a boiling point apparatus.

Does the boiling point of water change at higher altitudes?

Yes, the boiling point of water decreases as altitude increases due to the decrease in atmospheric pressure. This means that at higher altitudes, water will boil at a lower temperature compared to sea level.

Can the boiling point of water be affected by impurities?

Yes, impurities can raise the boiling point of water. This is because the impurities disrupt the hydrogen bonds between water molecules, making it more difficult for them to escape into the gas phase. This is why salt is often added to water when boiling pasta or cooking vegetables; it increases the boiling point and allows them to cook at a higher temperature.

What factors can influence the boiling point of water?

Aside from altitude and impurities, the boiling point of water can also be affected by atmospheric pressure, the type of container it is heated in, and the presence of other substances such as dissolved gases. Additionally, the boiling point of water can be influenced by external factors such as stirring or adding heat to the system.