Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion

In summary, a student is trying to find the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using a power series expansion, but gets stuck integrating. He finds another way to get the answer if he doesn't have a specific formula for the transform.
eyenkay

Homework Statement

The problem just states to find the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) from its power series expansion, instead of using the formula for the transform of a periodic function.

Homework Equations

Equation for Laplace transform of a function f(t) ->[tex]\int(e^{-st}f(t))dt[/tex]
Power Series Expansion for cos(x)-> [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n)!}x^{2n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to apply the formula for the Laplace Transform directly to the expansion of cos, but I get stuck in the integration.. Once you apply the formula, I figured you can bring the e[tex]^{-st}[/tex] inside the sum since it doesn't depend on n, and therefore you treat it like a constant wrt the sum. Then interchange the order of the sum and the integral, and end up with [tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n)!}k^{2n}\int(e^{-st}t^{2n})dt[/tex]..
This is what I can't figure out how to integrate, if you try it by parts you just get t to the 2n-1, then 2n-2... etc.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it down to the laplace transform of a power t^(2n). If you don't have a formula that you can use for it, then you derive it just as you say. Use integration by parts and induction to find the formula. Start by doing t, t^2, t^3... It should be pretty obvious what the formula for t^(2n) looks like. Hint: the answer will have a factorial in it.

You can also compute the integral of exp(-s t) and then differentiate that 2n times w.r.t. s to bring down a factor t^(2n) in the integrand.

oh..ok i see, i was forgetting to input the bounds, this causes each term to go to zero except for the last one, where the exponent of t is 0. Thanks.

Dick said:
You've got it down to the laplace transform of a power t^(2n). If you don't have a formula that you can use for it, then you derive it just as you say. Use integration by parts and induction to find the formula. Start by doing t, t^2, t^3... It should be pretty obvious what the formula for t^(2n) looks like. Hint: the answer will have a factorial in it.
Hi I'm a physics student studying theoretical physics 2, we haven't learned math induction. Is there another way around it?

What about applying the formula

| exp(- sigma t) f(t) | = Mthanks!

1. What is the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion?

The Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion is a mathematical technique that allows us to convert a function of time, in this case cos(kt), into a function of complex frequency. It is used in various fields of science and engineering to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion calculated?

The Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion is calculated by taking the power series expansion of cos(kt) and applying the Laplace Transform operator to each term. This results in an infinite sum of terms, which can then be simplified using mathematical techniques such as partial fractions or substitution.

3. What is the significance of using Power Series expansion in the Laplace Transform of cos(kt)?

The Power Series expansion is a useful tool in the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) because it allows us to convert a complicated function into a sum of simpler functions. This makes the calculation of the Laplace Transform more manageable and allows us to solve differential equations more easily.

4. Can the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion be used for other functions?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion can be applied to a wide range of functions, not just cos(kt). This includes trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and more complex functions that can be expressed as a power series.

5. What are some practical applications of the Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion?

The Laplace Transform of cos(kt) using Power Series expansion has many practical applications in science and engineering. It can be used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, control systems, and mechanical systems. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and other areas of research and technology.