Question concerning a formula to calculate work

In summary, the formula W=q\DeltaV is used to calculate the work associated with moving a point charge in an electric field. The q in the equation refers to the charge being moved, while V refers to the potential due to the non-moving point charge.
haydn
I have the formula W=q[tex]\Delta[/tex]V. Where [tex]\Delta[/tex]V is the change in electric potential, and q is a charge. Say I wanted to move a point charge some distance in an electric field (created by another point charge) and calculate the work associated with this movement. Does the q in the above equation relate to the point charge I'm moving, or the one that is creating the electric field?

I know V for a point charge is kq/r, and I would use the charge of the point charge I'm moving there.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
q in the "W = q ΔV" equation refers to the charge being moved. V refers to the potential due to the other (non-moving) point charge.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

What is work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W represents work in joules (J), F represents force in newtons (N), and d represents distance in meters (m).

What are some examples of work in everyday life?

Some examples of work in everyday life include lifting a book, pushing a shopping cart, and carrying a backpack. In each of these situations, force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the applied force.

How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to or from an object, while energy is the ability to do work. In other words, work is a way to transfer energy from one object to another.

Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and direction of movement are in opposite directions. For example, if you push a book upwards while gravity pulls it downwards, the work done by you would be negative because the force and direction of movement are opposite. This means that energy is being taken away from the object rather than being transferred to it.