I am a little confused by a catalytic reaction

In summary, the use of Sodium hydroxide as a catalyst in removing aluminum from a steel sputtering mask is initially energetic but eventually slows down and needs to be replaced. Although it is not consumed or changed in the reaction, its effectiveness is reduced, possibly due to being "poisoned" by the steel or the water becoming too saturated with aluminum. It is important to note that Sodium hydroxide is not a true catalyst in this reaction and can actually react with the aluminum hydroxide, depleting its concentration in the solution. Therefore, it is necessary to monitor the concentration of OH^- and the amount of aluminum hydroxide dispersed in the solution to ensure the effectiveness of the reaction.
fly_boy_bc
When Sodium hyroxide is used to remove aluminum from a steel sputtering mask the reaction is energetic at first but after a while the solution gets dirty and the reaction slows down until we need to replace it. As I understand it the caustic soda is a catalyst in this reaction and is not consumed or changed by it. So why does it lose effectiveness? Is it "poisoned" by the steel? Is there another material I could use for the mask that would not poison the Lye? (I am amused by the fact that it has so many names).

Or is the water too saturated with aluminum?

Gary

Chemistry news on Phys.org
NaOH is not a catalyst, it is chemically dissolving Al.

Well! That would explain THAT then wouldn't it? Hmmmm I guess I figured it was a catalytic reaction just because using it as an electrolyte to separate water is catalytic. Dumb guy thank chemistry ppl for help! ugh!

fly_boy_bc said:
Well! That would explain THAT then wouldn't it? Hmmmm I guess I figured it was a catalytic reaction just because using it as an electrolyte to separate water is catalytic. Dumb guy thank chemistry ppl for help! ugh!
The reaction is not so simple as it seems. With little amounts of Al hydroxide dispersed in the solution and little concentrations of [tex]OH^-[/tex], I'd say that [tex]OH^-[/tex] acts a bit as a catalyst:

[tex]2Al\ +\ 6H_2O\ -(basic\ solution)\rightarrow 2Al(OH)_3\ +\ 3H_2\uparrow[/tex]

But if the concentration of [tex]OH^-[/tex] is enough and there is enough hydroxide dispersed, [tex]OH^-[/tex] reacts with the aluminum hydroxide:

[tex]Al(OH)_3\ +\ OH^-\ \rightarrow Al(OH)_4^-[/tex]

and so the base is consumed.

1. What is a catalytic reaction?

A catalytic reaction is a chemical reaction that involves the use of a catalyst, which is a substance that speeds up the rate of the reaction without being consumed in the process.

2. How does a catalyst work in a catalytic reaction?

A catalyst works by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur, lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to take place. This allows the reaction to occur more quickly and efficiently.

3. What are some examples of catalytic reactions?

Some common examples of catalytic reactions include the Haber process for producing ammonia, the catalytic converter in car exhaust systems, and the catalytic cracking of crude oil in the production of gasoline.

4. What are the advantages of using a catalyst in a reaction?

The use of a catalyst in a reaction can greatly increase the rate of the reaction, reduce the amount of energy needed for the reaction to occur, and allow the reaction to take place at lower temperatures and pressures. This can lead to cost savings and improved efficiency.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a catalyst in a reaction?

While there are many advantages to using a catalyst, there can also be some drawbacks. Some catalysts can be expensive and require specialized handling and disposal. Additionally, not all reactions can be catalyzed, and some reactions may produce unwanted byproducts when a catalyst is used.