How do I reparameterize a curve with respect to arc length?

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, to reparameterize the given curve with respect to arclength measured from t=0 in the direction of increasing t, you must first calculate the arclength integral. Then, you must invert the relationship between t and s to find t(s). Finally, substitute t(s) into the original parametric equation to obtain the reparameterized curve. When given a specific point, such as (1,1), you can find the corresponding t value by solving for t in terms of x and y.
mathrocks
I have a question about reparameterizing curves. My specific question is "Reparameterize the curve with respect to the arc length measured from the point where t=0 in the direction of increasing t. r(t)=e^t*sint i +e^t*cost j"

I understand the whole process about finding the answer, but I have one important problem, when they give you a point "t=0" does that point plug into the derivative of r(t) and you solve for |r(t)| from there? And if I replace that t=0 with a point (1,1) or something, how do I go about dealing with that?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all:
And if I replace that t=0 with a point (1,1) or something, how do I go about dealing with that?
This has nothing to do with (re)-parametrizing a curve; rather, it is to identify the point in the plane on the curve that the parameter value t=0 determines.

Note that we have the arclength-formula from the beginning of a curve at t=0:
[tex]s(t)=\int_{0}^{t}||\frac{d\vec{r}}{d\tau}||d\tau[/tex]

Hence, the first thing you have to do in order to reparametrize, is to calculate the integral!

The second thing to, is to invert the relationship between t and s; i.e., rather than having the function s(t), you must find the correct function t(s).

the third thing you must do, is to substitute t(s) for t in your parametric equation.

arildno said:
First of all:

This has nothing to do with (re)-parametrizing a curve; rather, it is to identify the point in the plane on the curve that the parameter value t=0 determines.

Note that we have the arclength-formula from the beginning of a curve at t=0:
[tex]s(t)=\int_{0}^{t}||\frac{d\vec{r}}{d\tau}||d\tau[/tex]

Hence, the first thing you have to do in order to reparametrize, is to calculate the integral!

The second thing to, is to invert the relationship between t and s; i.e., rather than having the function s(t), you must find the correct function t(s).

the third thing you must do, is to substitute t(s) for t in your parametric equation.

Right, I understand I have to find the integral first, but to make the integral easier, my teacher told use to first determine |r'(t)|, which gives you a number and when finding the integral you simply add a 't' to the end of the number which gives you the function s(t). And then you you find t(s) and plug it into the original equation.

My question was when you are given a point (1,1) rather than t=0 how do you find the |r'(t)| since the point (1,1) corresponds to (x,y)??

mathrocks said:
Right, I understand I have to find the integral first, but to make the integral easier, my teacher told use to first determine |r'(t)|, which gives you a number and when finding the integral you simply add a 't' to the end of the number which gives you the function s(t). And then you you find t(s) and plug it into the original equation.

My question was when you are given a point (1,1) rather than t=0 how do you find the |r'(t)| since the point (1,1) corresponds to (x,y)??

There's no reason to make the integral easier. This isn't a complicated integral that needs some "trick" to help you see the solution. And since the trick just seems to be confusing you (and I'm pretty sure it's not even correct, unless I'm misunderstanding your description of it) there really isn't any reason to use it. You're better off just solving things the proper way. As was already said, the proper thing to do to get s(t) is to solve:

[tex]s(t)=\int_0^t\lVert \mathbf{r}^{\prime}(\tau) \rVert\;d\tau[/tex]

Once you solve that you just find t(s) and then plug it into r(t).

Edited to add: if you really insist, you can find the t value associated with some (x,y) by solving e^t*sin(t) = x and e^t*cos(t) = y for t in terms of x and y. You can then use that t value to find ||r'(t)|| at (x,y). But that's very messy.

Last edited:
Hint:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=e^{t}((\cos(t)-\sin(t))\vec{i}+(\cos(t)+\sin(t))\vec{j})[/tex]
[tex]||\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}||=\sqrt{2}e^{t}[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of reparameterizing curves?

Reparameterizing curves is the process of changing the parameterization, or the way a curve is described, without changing the shape of the curve itself. It is commonly used to simplify complex curves or to make them easier to analyze mathematically.

2. How is a curve reparameterized?

A curve can be reparameterized by changing the parameter variable, such as t, to a new variable, such as s. Alternatively, the curve's parameterization function can be modified to produce a different curve with the same shape.

3. What are the benefits of reparameterizing curves?

Reparameterizing curves can make them easier to manipulate and analyze, as well as simplify the mathematical calculations involved in working with curves. It can also help to reduce the number of calculations needed to describe a curve.

4. Are there any limitations to reparameterizing curves?

Reparameterizing curves can change the speed at which the curve is traversed, which may not always be desirable. Additionally, some curves may not be able to be reparameterized without changing their shape or losing important information.

5. What are some real-world applications of reparameterizing curves?

Reparameterizing curves has a wide range of applications, including in computer graphics, computer-aided design, and robotics. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering to simplify complex mathematical descriptions of curves.