Learning Physics Basics: Feynman vs Serway

• Thread starter welatiger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feynman
Physics for Scientists and Engineers" may be a better option for learning the basics of physics. It is more comprehensive and detailed compared to the Feynman lectures, making it more suitable for beginners. However, many people also recommend the Feynman lectures for their unique perspective and as a supplementary source for learning physics. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and learning style. In summary, for learning the basics, Serway's "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" may be a better choice due to its comprehensive coverage, but the Feynman lectures can also be a valuable resource for gaining a different perspective.
welatiger
Is Feynman lectures on physics suitable for beginning physics (learn basics of physics)
OR physics for scientists and engineers (Serway) ?
i want to learn basics most powerful
thx

Physics news on Phys.org
How much mathematics do you know?

i know basic calculus and differential eqs
and partial DE
some special fns
and little functional analysis

In that case, I recommend Feynman.

thank you very much for your help
hoping other members to give me their opinions

Many people refer to the The Feynman lectures as "physics for physicists" and I think I have to agree. Reading the lectures is an excellent way of brushing up on a certain area or getting a different perspective but I wouldn't recommend it as your ONLY book.
Part of the problem is simply that they are too brief; the lectures are quite short meaning they cover an enormous amount of physics in each chapter, there is simply not enough space to go into any details; most books on e.g. basic E&M are longer than one volume of the lectures.

My advice would to initially focus on one (or maybe two) area of physics (say basic mechanics) and then buy a good book that cover ONLY that area.

Last edited:
Serway

1. What is the difference between Feynman and Serway when it comes to learning physics basics?

Feynman and Serway are two different approaches to learning physics basics. Feynman's approach is more conceptual and focuses on understanding the underlying principles and theories, while Serway's approach is more traditional and emphasizes problem-solving and mathematical techniques.

2. Which approach is better for beginners in physics?

Both approaches have their benefits, but it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Feynman's approach may be more engaging for those who are interested in the conceptual side of physics, while Serway's approach may be more suitable for those who prefer a more structured and mathematical approach.

3. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand either approach?

Having a basic understanding of math is important for learning physics, but it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand either approach. Feynman's approach may be more accessible for those who are not as comfortable with math, as it focuses more on conceptual understanding. However, it is still important to have a good grasp of algebra and basic calculus for both approaches.

4. Can I use both approaches simultaneously to learn physics basics?

Yes, you can use both approaches simultaneously to enhance your understanding of physics basics. Combining Feynman's conceptual approach with Serway's problem-solving techniques can provide a well-rounded understanding of the subject. Additionally, using multiple resources and approaches can help reinforce your understanding of the material.

5. Which approach is more commonly used in universities and colleges?

Both approaches are commonly used in universities and colleges, but it may vary depending on the institution and the specific course. Feynman's approach may be more commonly used in introductory courses, while Serway's approach may be more prevalent in higher-level courses. Ultimately, it is up to the instructor to decide which approach to use.