Books on Classical/analytical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a book on classical/analytical mechanics for self-study. They mention two popular books, "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein and "Mechanics" by Landau/Lifgarbagez, and ask for recommendations or suggestions for a third book. Some suggestions are given, including "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "French, Newtonian Mechanics" for beginners, "Fowles, Analytical Mechanics" for review, "Symon" for intermediate level, and "Goldstein" and "Landau" for graduate level. Other recommendations include "Classical Dynamics: A Contemporary Approach" by Jorge Jose and Eugene Saletan, and "Math
Niles
Hi all.

I wish to buy a book on classical/analytical mechanics and do some self-studying. I have read reviews online, and it seems that the "popular" books are "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein and "Mechanics" by Landau/Liftgarbagez.

To those of you that have read both or one of them: Can you reconmmend it? Or do you have any suggestions for a third book perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have copy (some day this will change), but I think "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor might be good for self-study.

http://www.uscibooks.com/taylor2.htm

What level of study are you at? Goldstein and Landau/Lifgarbagez are usually considered to be graduate-school level. For intermediate/upper level undergraduates, Symon and Marion come to mind. For introductory/intermediate level, maybe French or Kleppner/Kolenkow or Fowles.

First, thanks for responding quickly.

I am also at the graduate school level, which is why I think that perhaps Taylor's book is a little too "easy".

French, Newtonian Mechanics if you're coming to the subject for the first time. (Sorry, didn't see your last message until now. Still a good book for reviewing topics like orbital mechanics.)

Fowles, Analytical Mechanics is a good compromise between simplicity and coverage. I found it great for review and getting up to speed on a topic. Symon is also very good, a little more sophisticated, but also more wordy.

Goldstein is the "canonical" graduate text, and thus tries to cover all the bases. I find it a bit too dense and fat for self study, even for graduate students, though good for reference. (I remember disliking the book intensely in graduate school, but I'm not sure that was altogether a rational response).

Landau is at the same level and blessedly concise. Some nice worked problems in Landau, too. Not everyone responds to the style, but if you already feel comfortable with the basics, I think this would be the most pleasant book to spend your free time with.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I like Arnold's "Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics," but I've never read Goldstein and I've only glanced at Landau. I'm not a physics major either, but a math major.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of macroscopic objects under the influence of forces. It involves studying the laws of motion and the concepts of position, velocity, acceleration, and force.

2. What is analytical mechanics?

Analytical mechanics is a mathematical approach to studying classical mechanics. It uses mathematical tools such as calculus and differential equations to describe the motion of objects and the forces acting on them.

3. What are some famous books on classical/analytical mechanics?

Some famous books on classical/analytical mechanics include "Newton's Principia Mathematica" by Sir Isaac Newton, "Principles of Mechanics" by Jean le Rond d'Alembert, and "Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics" by M.G. Calkin.

4. How are classical and analytical mechanics related?

Classical mechanics is the physical theory that describes the motion of objects, while analytical mechanics is the mathematical framework used to study classical mechanics. Analytical mechanics provides a more rigorous and systematic approach to solving problems in classical mechanics.

5. What are some applications of classical/analytical mechanics?

Classical/analytical mechanics has many applications in the fields of engineering, astronomy, and physics. It is used to study the motion of planets and satellites, design structures and machines, and understand the behavior of physical systems.