Latent Heat of Fusion | Physics Explained

In summary, the conversation is about using a formula for latent heat of fusion to find the average of some data. The person is having trouble with plugging in the correct values and getting the correct answer. They also mention needing to know the mass of water and the definitions of different variables in the formula. They are seeking help and suggestions for websites that could assist them with their problem.
kuol21
Please see the attached Word file.

Attachments

• Physics Help.doc
    25 KB · Views: 316
Science news on Phys.org
You say "I am not real sure exactly how to use it [the formula for latent heat of fusion] to find the average of some data." What exactly are you trying to find? Heat of fusion has nothing to do with "finding an average".

Well I just need to find the latent heat of all 3 of them, and then just average them all together. I thought I plugged everything in right, but when I tried to submit my answer it said that it was wrong. I just need to know where to plug everything in at.
Thanks

Or maybe, another website I could go to that would help me with this. I have tried some, but they didn't work for me.
Thanks

Okay, so you really have two problems: first use "Mw*Cw*(Tw-T) = Mi*Ci*(T-Ti)+L*Mi" to find the Latent Head of Fusion in each of the three cases, then add those values and divide by 3.

Well i guess my real problem is what is the mass of water. I know the volume (4 cups). I don't know what Cw is. I think Tw is temp of water. I think T is the final Temperater. Mi is I assume Mass of the ice. Not sure what Ci is. Again I believe that Tis the final Temperature and Ti is the temp of the ice. L is the Latent heat and Mi is the mass of ice again. Is that correct?

1. What is latent heat of fusion?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from its solid state to its liquid state at a constant temperature. In other words, it is the energy needed to break the bonds between molecules in a solid and transform it into a liquid.

2. How is latent heat of fusion different from specific heat?

Latent heat of fusion and specific heat are both measures of the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a substance. However, specific heat refers to the amount of heat required to change the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, while latent heat of fusion refers to the amount of heat needed to change the state of a substance at a constant temperature.

3. Why is latent heat of fusion important?

Latent heat of fusion is important because it plays a crucial role in many natural processes, such as the melting of ice in the polar regions and the formation of clouds and rain. It is also important in industrial processes, such as metal casting and refrigeration.

4. How is latent heat of fusion measured?

Latent heat of fusion is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of heat added to or removed from a substance to cause a change in state. This can be done by using a calorimeter, a device that measures the heat absorbed or released by a substance during a physical or chemical process.

5. Can the latent heat of fusion vary for different substances?

Yes, the latent heat of fusion can vary for different substances. It is dependent on the type of substance and the strength of the bonds between its molecules. For example, the latent heat of fusion for water is 334 joules per gram, while the latent heat of fusion for iron is 247 joules per gram.