Understanding Counterterms: Demystifying Srednicki's Equation 9.25

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion over a statement made by Mr. Srednicki in his pre-print about a new vertex formed by two intersecting lines. The corresponding diagram can be found in figure 14.1 and some individuals have a love-hate relationship with Srednicki's textbook, with some finding it difficult to understand.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, I was wonder what mr. Srednicki is meaning on page 68 (page 82 in his pre-print), where he writes that "Eq. 9.25" results in a new vertex where two lines meet" Now I have a hard time to figure it out how it would look like diagrammatically and was wondering if anyone had a more hands-on example?

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The corresponding diagram is the second one in figure 14.1.

Thanx mate!

I have a hard time to appreciate Srednicki, the reviews on Amazon is very good. But I think that sometimes, it the worst textbook I have read. So I have this hate-love relation to him. Same with Peskins book... but in the end, I think Peskin and Srednicki complements each other very well.

1. What are counterterms in physics?

Counterterms are mathematical corrections that are added to physical equations in order to account for divergences and ensure that the equations are well-defined. They are used in quantum field theory to account for the effects of virtual particles and to remove infinities that arise in perturbative calculations.

2. Who is Srednicki and what is their contribution to the field of counterterms?

Kent Srednicki is a theoretical physicist who has made significant contributions to the field of counterterms. He is best known for his work on the renormalization group and the development of the Srednicki-Wilson operator product expansion, which has been used to calculate counterterms in quantum field theory.

3. Why are counterterms necessary in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, infinities arise in perturbative calculations due to the infinite number of virtual particles that can contribute to a process. These infinities must be removed in order to obtain meaningful and accurate predictions. Counterterms are used to cancel out these infinities and ensure that the final result is finite and well-defined.

4. How do counterterms affect physical predictions?

Counterterms are important in quantum field theory because they affect the physical predictions that can be made. By removing infinities and making the equations well-defined, counterterms allow for more accurate and meaningful predictions to be made. They also play a crucial role in renormalization, which is necessary for comparing theoretical predictions with experimental results.

5. Are counterterms used in other areas of physics?

While counterterms are most commonly associated with quantum field theory, they are also used in other areas of physics such as quantum electrodynamics and general relativity. In these fields, counterterms are used to remove infinities and ensure that the equations are well-defined, similar to their role in quantum field theory.