Solving Various Calc Test Questions - Get Answers Here

• Thread starter JonF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers a take-home calculus test with three questions the person struggled with. The first question involves rewriting an integral and using a substitution method. The second question involves finding the derivative of an inverse function. The third question involves simplifying and finding the exact value of a trigonometric expression. The conversation also briefly mentions a new question about a limit and an integral.
JonF
I just took a take home calc test this weekend, turned it in this morning. There were a few questions I couldn’t answer. Will you guys tell me (or even better show me) how to solve these?

#1 [tex] \int \frac{dx}{3sinx - 4cosx} [/tex]

#2 Find g’(x) where g is an inverse function of f(x)
f(x) = 3 + x^2 + sin([pi]x) -0.4 < x < 0.4

#3 find the exact value of sin[arcsine(1/3) + arcsine(2/3)]

Physics news on Phys.org
#1. You can rewrite 3sin(x) - 4cos(x) as k * sin(x + v), where k and v are constants. Then you just have integrate 1/k * csc(x + v).

#2. Hmm, I wonder if you can leave g(x) in the answer?

#3. Simpify using the addition formula for sine, and find a formula for cos(arcsin(x/y)).

Last edited:
Here is always a useful substitution for integrals of that and similar form:

[tex]t = \tan \frac{x}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\cos x = \frac{1-t^2}{1+t^2}[/tex]

[tex]\sin x = \frac{2t}{1+t^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{2}{1+t^2}[/tex]

(Not 100% sure I have that last one right)

Last edited:
#2 - f(x) = 3 + x^2 + sin([pi]x)
g(x) is the inverse of f(x). Remember, just because it is written as g(x) doesn't mean that you have to make g a function of x. You are not asked to find the inverse of the function. You are rather being asked to find dy/dx of the inverse.

The inverse of f(x) is:
x = 3 + y^2 + sin([pi]y)

now can you find dy/dx? (think of it as implicit differentiation)

EDIT: nevermind you can't do this. I just realized they don't want dy/dx they instead want g'(x) which is not the same thing.

Last edited:
How does this take-home test system work? What is stopping you from asking these same questions during the test period (other than your conscience - but who ever listens to it anyways?)?

Parth Dave said:
(other than your conscience)

thats about it. It was 25 questions and these are the only 3 that i didn't get right I'm pretty sure.

JonF said:
#3 find the exact value of sin[arcsine(1/3) + arcsine(2/3)]
[tex]sin(x+y) = ?[/tex]
[tex]sin(sin^-^1(x))= ?[/tex]

forget to say it is just another way to solve the problem because the answer given by Muzza can also be applied..

Seems to me like we were thinking of the same solution. Since you know, sin(x + y) will not only include sin(x) and sin(y), but also cos(x) and cos(y)...

Yeah, i should have thought about what you wrote more deeper...Nothing big right ? --lol

Uhmm, the same!

Thanks for the help guys, those problems were a lot easier then I was making them out to be…

i have a new question…

Is the equation [tex] y = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \pm(1 - x^{2n})^{1/2n} [/tex] a square?

Is [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \int \pm(1 - x^{2n})^{1/2n} dx [/tex] = to 4? i.e. a 2x2 square?

Last edited:

1. What is the best approach for solving calculus test questions?

The best approach for solving calculus test questions is to first read the question carefully and understand what is being asked. Then, apply the appropriate formulas and techniques that you have learned in class or from your textbook. It is also helpful to show all your work and steps in your solution to ensure that you are on the right track.

2. How can I improve my calculus problem-solving skills?

Practice and review are key to improving your calculus problem-solving skills. Make use of practice problems and past exams to identify your weak areas and work on them. It is also helpful to seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with certain concepts.

3. How should I manage my time during a calculus test?

Managing your time is crucial during a calculus test. Start by allocating a certain amount of time for each question based on their point values. If you get stuck on a question, move on to the next one and come back to it later. It is also important to keep an eye on the clock and pace yourself accordingly.

4. How can I avoid making careless mistakes on calculus tests?

Careless mistakes can be avoided by double-checking your work and using proper notation. Make sure to label your variables and units clearly and check your calculations for accuracy. It is also helpful to read the question and solution carefully to catch any errors.

5. Are there any online resources for practicing calculus problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available for practicing calculus problems. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Wolfram Alpha, and Paul's Online Math Notes. These websites offer a variety of practice problems and step-by-step solutions for you to improve your skills. Additionally, your textbook or class notes may also have practice problems for you to work on.