How Can You Solve a Linear Kinematics Problem Involving Two Accelerating Cars?

In summary: I started with Car B time = 0 and Car A time =5 seconds. Car B had gone zero distance and Car A had gone 20 m. Then I added 10 seconds to both, Car B had gone 49 m and Car A had gone 40 m. Car B went 70 m in 20 seconds and Car A went 70 m in 20 seconds. So the answer is 20 seconds after Car A started. The distance is 70 m or 476.7 (500-23.3) m. The average velocity is 476.7 m/20 s = 23.835 m/s.
andysmax

Homework Statement

Two cars are at the start lines of two roads at right angles to each other and pointing to the intersection 500 metres away. Car A starts from rest with uniform accelereation of 0.5m/s2 and accelerates for 20 seconds. It then continues at the speed reached. Car B starts 5 seconds later and 20 metres further away with an acceleration of 0.7m/s2.
Calculate wrt the start time of Car A:

a) Time taken for B and A to be the same distance from the cross-road.

b) The distance from the cross roads at the above time

c) The average velocity of Car A at this distance.

Homework Equations

v=u+at
v2=u2+2as

The Attempt at a Solution

First i used v=u+at and plugged the results into a table showing velocity against time for car A and B, for upto 60 seconds at ten second intervals.
Then i transposed the second equation for s to work out the distance s=v2-u2[tex]/2a[/tex] for car a and s=(v2-u2[tex]/2a[/tex])-20 for car B.
This was then plugged into a second table showing distance against time.
From this table it was deduced that the area of interest was between 50 and 60 seconds.
I carried on with this process until i narrowed it down.
The answer i got for a) was 57.67 seconds.
b) was just working the time back through the previous equations which gave 23.3m (500-476.7).
c) i calculated change in distance over change in time: 476.7/57.67 = 8.267m/s2

However, this was time consuming and i am wondering if there was a simpler way to tackle this(if indeed the above solution is correct!), possibly as a simultaneous equation?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rest assured that you don't need to use tables for any physics problem. When the two cars are at the same distance from the cross-road, two things are the same for both cars: distance traveled and time taken. Which equation relates distance, acceleration, and time? Start there.

Your method looks pretty good. I did it a different way and got a different answer! Kind of complicated and easy to make a little mistake, which I have a habit of doing.
For car A I did the first 20 seconds as v = at = .5*20 = 10
d = .5*a*t^2 = 100 m
Then for times larger than 20 we have d = 100 + vt = 100+10(t-20)

For car B, d = do + vi*t + .5*a*t^2
d = -20 +.5*.7*(t-5)^2

for (a) I set the two distance equations equal, collected like terms and got this quadratic: .35*t^2 - 13.5*t + 88.75 = 0
It has two solutions, one less than 20 so no good, and t = 30.17 s
I checked the distances at that time and they are equal (if my equations are correct!).

ideasrule said:
Rest assured that you don't need to use tables for any physics problem. When the two cars are at the same distance from the cross-road, two things are the same for both cars: distance traveled and time taken. Which equation relates distance, acceleration, and time? Start there.

Car B starts 20 m further away. That's why i went the table route.

1. What is linear kinematics?

Linear kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects along a straight line. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What is the difference between linear and angular kinematics?

Linear kinematics deals with motion along a straight line, while angular kinematics deals with motion along a curved path, such as in circular or rotational motion.

3. What are the key equations used in linear kinematics problems?

The key equations used in linear kinematics problems are the equations of motion, including displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity)/2.

4. How are displacement, velocity, and acceleration related in linear kinematics?

Displacement is the change in an object's position over time, velocity is the rate of change of displacement, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In linear kinematics, acceleration is caused by a net force acting on an object, which causes a change in its velocity.

5. How do you approach solving a linear kinematics problem?

The first step in solving a linear kinematics problem is to identify the known and unknown variables, and then use the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use consistent units throughout the problem.