Thoughts on Columbia Neuroscience/ Electrical Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's application to Columbia University's PhD program in EE, specifically the computational neuroscience group called Bionet. The speaker is debating whether to hold out for a more prestigious program or to attend Columbia and start school in January. The speaker's application is moderately strong and they are considering their options and seeking advice. The advice given is to assess the potential benefits of starting school in January and to consider other programs with a strong emphasis on computational neuroscience. It is also suggested to reach out to the professor of the Bionet group to learn more about potential opportunities. Ultimately, the speaker should make an informed decision that aligns with their academic and career goals.
TheCaterpilla
I have applied to Columbia PhD program in EE. They have a computational neuroscience group called Bionet (only one professor) which is based in the Electrical Engineering Department which I am very interested in. If I get accepted I will be able to start school in January.

When I look at US News, I see that Columbia's EE program isn't terribly high rated. I am debating whether I should hold out to get into a more prestigious program.

My application is moderately strong: Double degree math (gpa 3.8) and EE (gpa 3.3), GRE: 790Q/530A/4.5, some signal processing research experience, intern experience at Boeing, and I just took the Math Subject Test which I think I will score about 65-70 percentile.

Thing is, if I hold out I will just be sitting around for 7+ months waiting for school to start again, which I have been doing for about 9 months now (ugh).

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is ultimately up to you to decide what you would like to do. You need to assess whether or not the prestige of a more highly rated program will outweigh the potential benefits of starting school in January and getting involved in research and coursework quickly. It may be worthwhile to look into other programs that have a strong emphasis on computational neuroscience in order to find the right fit for you. Additionally, if you are interested in the Bionet research group, it would be beneficial to reach out to the professor and discuss the opportunities available to you if you were accepted. Ultimately, it is important to make sure that you make an informed decision that will best help you reach your academic and career goals.

I understand your dilemma and the importance of choosing the right program for your PhD studies. It is great that you have applied to the Columbia PhD program in EE and are interested in their computational neuroscience group, Bionet. This is a relatively new and emerging field that combines both electrical engineering and neuroscience, and it is exciting to see universities like Columbia offering such programs.

While it is important to consider a program's ranking, it is not the only factor to consider when making your decision. Your application appears to be quite strong, with a double degree in math and EE, high GRE scores, research and internship experience. These demonstrate your strong academic background and potential for success in the program.

Additionally, the fact that you will be able to start school in January rather than waiting for another 7+ months is also something to consider. Time is valuable, and starting your PhD studies sooner rather than later can have its advantages.

My advice would be to thoroughly research the Bionet program and its faculty, as well as the overall EE program at Columbia. Look into the research being conducted, the opportunities for collaboration and networking, and the resources available to students. You may also want to reach out to current students or alumni to get their perspective on the program.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on what aligns best with your academic and career goals. If the Bionet program at Columbia offers everything you are looking for, then it may be a great fit for you. However, if you are unsure, it may be worth considering other options and waiting for a potential acceptance from a more prestigious program.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process and in your future studies. Remember, the most important factor is to choose a program where you will thrive and achieve your goals.

1. What is the focus of Columbia's Neuroscience/ Electrical Engineering program?

The program focuses on the intersection of neuroscience and electrical engineering, with an emphasis on understanding the brain and developing technologies to interact with it.

2. What kind of research opportunities are available in this program?

There are a variety of research opportunities available, including projects related to neural engineering, brain-computer interfaces, and computational neuroscience.

3. How does this program prepare students for careers in the field?

Students in this program gain a strong foundation in both neuroscience and electrical engineering, allowing them to pursue careers in a variety of fields such as medical device development, biotechnology, and academic research.

4. Are there any unique features or collaborations within the program?

Columbia's Neuroscience/ Electrical Engineering program has strong collaborations with other departments such as the Columbia University Medical Center, allowing students to work with experts in various fields and gain a well-rounded education.

5. What are the admission requirements for this program?

The admission requirements for this program include a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some relevant coursework in neuroscience and electrical engineering is also recommended.