Understanding Left/Right Hand Rule and Finding North/South in Currents

In summary, throughout the electric force/field and magnetism unit, there are rules involving the use of the left hand and the right hand. These rules may be confusing to apply due to their application to different fingers. However, it is important to note that most vector rules and directions only require the use of right-hand rules, except in cases of left-handed materials. Additionally, current does not have a north or south end as it is made up of point charges that act as monopoles. The concepts of flux and current direction can be better understood by using visual aids and understanding the direction of flow. Some sources may refer to electron flow instead of conventional current, leading to the use of left-hand rules in the magnetism unit.
Soph
Throughout the electric force/field and magnetism unit, there's always a rule that involved using the left hand and the right hand. I'm a bit confused on how to apply the rules because of the units are applied to different fingers. If someone could give me an explanation on it, that'd be great.

Another question: How do you find which end is North and which end is South in a current?

Physics news on Phys.org
To the best of my recollection, all vector rules and directions of note require that only right-hand rules are used. The only time I have seen left-hand rules used are in left-handed materials where both the permittivity and permeability are negative. These are not encountered naturally.

Current does not have a north or south end. Current is made up of electrons, point charges, that act as monopoles, they do not have two poles to reference as north and south.

After looking at it for a while, I kind of understood the concepts.

My apologies for the second question. I was picturing a coil in a circuit when I typed this.

Hi Soph

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try and explain this. I am only a novice at electromagetics, but I have just recently gone over the same ground of questioning that you have raised in this question ... so here we go... can I do this??

Say your right hand is out in front of you with palm up ...- thumb out to the right ... -and your fingers curled up and back towards you. Say there is a horizontal conductor sitting in that right palm of your hand with conventional current (opposite to electron flow) flowing from left to right. That means you would draw a plus sign on the left of this conductor and draw a negative sign on the right of this conductor ... right ? Now here is the thing - the FLUX will flow in the direction of your curled fingers. And notice this also: - in a coil configuration the FLUX flows from the NORTH towards the SOUTH pole on the outside of the coil and from South towards the North on the inside of the coil.

I can understand this sounds complicated. This is where a picture would come in handy. It is hard to explain this in words.

Anyway thanks for giving me a try at it.o:)

Thanks Leon. I've been touching up on that subject, and I had some doubts over that, but I understand it better now.

A few sources, one such example is the New York State Regents Physics curriculum, refer to "electron flow" in all cases, and never refer to conventional current, therefore the magnetism unit has left hand rules instead of right hand rules.

1. What is the left-hand and right-hand rule in physics?

The left-hand and right-hand rule are two rules commonly used in physics to determine the direction of a magnetic field or current. The left-hand rule is used for determining the direction of a magnetic field while the right-hand rule is used for determining the direction of a current.

2. How do I use the left-hand rule to determine the direction of a magnetic field?

To use the left-hand rule, you first need to extend your left hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the magnetic field. Then, point your thumb in the direction of the current. Your palm will now be facing in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How do I use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of a current?

To use the right-hand rule, you first need to extend your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the current. Then, curl your fingers towards the direction of the magnetic field. Your thumb will now be pointing in the direction of the current.

4. How can I find north and south in currents using the left-hand and right-hand rule?

To find north and south in currents, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and observe the direction your fingers curl towards. This will indicate the direction of the magnetic field, with the north pole being in the direction your fingers curl towards and the south pole being in the opposite direction.

5. Are there any other applications for understanding the left-hand and right-hand rule?

Yes, the left-hand and right-hand rule are also used in various other areas of physics, such as determining the direction of electromagnetic waves or the direction of force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. They are also commonly used in engineering and electronics to design and troubleshoot circuits and devices.