I Need Help Selecting a Good Text Book to Learn the Basics

In summary: It has a good mix of conceptual explanation and mathematical rigor.In summary, the speaker is new to Physics Forums and is in 10th grade with a strong interest in physics. They have been self-studying physics since 5th grade but struggle with the math behind the concepts. They are looking for a textbook that provides a strong foundation in physics and math, particularly for string theory, M-theory, relativity, and quantum mechanics. They are also open to suggestions for books on these topics. Suggestions from other forum members include the 3 volume set of Feynman's Lectures on Physics and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.
moderndayhipp
Hi,

I'm new to Physics Forums, but I'm glad to be here.

I'm in 10th grade and I'm very interested in physics. Since I was in an early grade (5th) I would scour my textbook and my library looking for anything related to physics. Unfortunately I didn't have enough math skill to understand the math behind the ideas; so, I just learned the abstract. None the less I was intrigued. Recently (the last two years), I have been interested in some of the more complicated ideas in physics, particularly string theory, M-theory, relativity, and quantum Mechanics. The physics program at my high school is terrible. Really, it's a complete joke. I want to understand the more complicated theories because that is where my interest lies, but I need a strong base first. I want a textbook that would provide me with a strong basic understanding of physics and the math behind the ideas so that I could easily move on to the harder stuff. And in case you were wondering, I'm very good at math. I take advanced classes and I'm at the top of my class. I just Haven't been able to take any quality physics courses. So the math part won't be a problem. This brings me to my original question.

What textbook would you recommend, Preferably one under $100?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can tackle the standard calculus based text by Haliday, Resnick and Walker with ease thenI suggest the the 3 volume set of Feynman's Lectures on Physics. The paperback version is about $65 new @ Amazon. I don't think there is anything quite like them and they may be your best bet to get started.

Also poke around amazon.com for books on string theory and check the ratings and reviews.

KL

kloveland said:
... the 3 volume set of Feynman's Lectures on Physics...

I second that suggestion. And when you read these, bring paper & pencil and work out the details as you go. If you can do two or three of these a week you will definitely be 'on your way.' Feynman explains things in a way that you just don't get from most other books.

My favorite is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

1. What makes a good text book for learning the basics?

A good text book for learning the basics should have clear and concise explanations, relevant examples and exercises, and a logical organization that builds upon previous concepts.

2. How do I know which text book is best for me?

The best text book for you will depend on your learning style, level of understanding, and personal preferences. Consider asking for recommendations from peers or professors, reading reviews, and previewing sample chapters before making a decision.

3. What are some important factors to consider when selecting a text book?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a text book include the author's expertise and reputation, the edition and publication date, the level of difficulty, and the cost.

4. Is it better to use a physical or digital text book for learning the basics?

This ultimately depends on personal preference. Some learners may prefer the convenience and accessibility of a digital text book, while others may prefer the tangible experience of using a physical text book.

5. Can I use multiple text books to learn the basics?

Yes, using multiple text books can provide a well-rounded understanding of the basics. However, be mindful of potential overlap and conflicting information.