Understanding Transformer Losses and Harmonics: A Guide

• Thread starter hisham.i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of harmonics on losses in a transformer. The presence of harmonics in the wave can cause deformation in the shape of the current, leading to losses due to hysteresis phenomena. The nonlinearity of the core magnetization current also affects reactive power and eddy current losses, which can cause heating of the transformer core. The resulting harmonics can contribute to power loss, but the exact amount depends on the particular harmonics present and the sensitivity of the load to frequency.
hisham.i
Studying the transformer shows that if the secondary has no load then hystersis phenomena will make a deformation in the shape of the current leading a losses, due to the presence of harmonics in the wave.
Why harmonics make losses?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The nonlinear shape of the magnetization current in a transformer is due to the change in the permeability (B = μμ0H) of the transformer core at high field (over 1 Tesla). Transformer core losses are due to the area of the ∫BH hysteresis curve. If the transformer primary and secondary are tightly coupled, the secondary voltage wave should closely match the primary voltage curve. The nonlinearity of the core magnetization current primarily affects the reactive power needed to excite the transformer.
Bob S

But i don't know in what form this loss it is?

hisham.i said:
But i don't know in what form this loss it is?
∫BH curve (hysteresis) losses and eddy current losses cause heating of the transformer core.
Bob S

What is the effect of the resulting harmonics on the power lost in the transformer?

hisham.i said:
What is the effect of the resulting harmonics on the power lost in the transformer?
The power loss for hysteresis loss (I believe) is relatively independent of frequency for low frequencies, but the eddy current losses in laminations for harmonics scale as frequency squared. See the eddy current lamination loss equation in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current
Note that the power loss shown in the equation is the power loss per kilogram.
Bob S

I think you are after an answer that doesn't really exist unless you can analyse the emerging waveform into its particular harmonics. This will tell you the amplitude of the wanted fundamental, which will tell you the overall losses. If the load is not frequency sensitive (i.e. mainly resistive), then you can add all the harmonic powers together, assuming the same load resistance at all frequencies. This total, plus the fundamental power will still be less than the input power due to the power dissipated internally.
What I mean is this:
Input Power = Wanted Power + (Harmonic Power + Dissipated Power)

If the load is very frequency sensitive, then you can't tell how the quantities in the parentheses are shared.

1. What is frequency and why is it important in scientific research?

Frequency refers to the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. In scientific research, frequency is important because it allows us to understand patterns and relationships between variables, which can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about our observations.

2. How do scientists measure frequency?

Scientists measure frequency by counting the number of occurrences of an event over a specific period of time. This can be done manually or with the use of technology such as sensors or timers. The unit of measurement for frequency is hertz (Hz).

3. What are some common causes of frequency losses in scientific experiments?

There are several common causes of frequency losses in scientific experiments, including equipment malfunctions, external interference, and human error. Changes in environmental conditions, such as temperature or humidity, can also affect frequency and lead to losses in data.

4. How can scientists minimize frequency losses in their research?

To minimize frequency losses in research, scientists can take preventive measures such as regularly calibrating equipment, using shielding to reduce external interference, and implementing strict protocols for data collection to reduce human error. It is also important to carefully monitor and record environmental conditions during experiments.

5. What are the potential consequences of frequency losses in scientific research?

Frequency losses can have significant consequences in scientific research, as they can lead to inaccurate or incomplete data, which can affect the validity and reliability of research findings. This can ultimately impact the development of theories and the advancement of scientific knowledge in a particular field.