Matrix of a linear transformation HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the matrix representation of a linear transformation and its characteristic polynomial. It is stated that if the matrix is represented as "multiplication by a" and denoted as A, then a is a root of the characteristic polynomial for A. The conversation also includes a question about obtaining a monic polynomial of degree 3 satisfied by 2^(1/3) and by 1+2^(1/3)+4^(1/3). The conversation concludes with a discussion about the matrix A and how it relates to the linear transformation T, and how this can be used to find the characteristic polynomial.
5kold

Homework Statement

Show that if the matrix of a linear transformation
"multiplication by a" is "A" then a is a root of the characteristic polynomial for A.

Also, I am not sure how to obtain the monic polynomial of degree 3 satisfied by
2^(1/3) and by 1+2^(1/3)+4^(1/3).

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems obvious but I am not sure how to go about it. I can't find anything in my book about it. Once you have the matrix form, can't you just plug in the numbers above to get the polynomial equation?

Thank you guys. This is my first course in higher mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the matrix A looks like? See what T does to each vector in the standard basis.

Do you know how to find the characteristic polynomial for a matrix A?

I do not know what the matrix A looks like. What is T? I do know how to find the characteristic polynomial for a square matrix. Thanks for the continuing help, Mark44.

T(x) = ax, right? What does T do to each basis vector of the standard basis? From that you should be able to figure out what A looks like.

Just to help you understand better you can temporarily assume that T takes a vector from R3 and maps it to another vector in R3. After you understand what's going on, then you should assume that T maps vectors in Rn to Rn. I think that's a reasonable assumption for this problem.

What is a matrix of a linear transformation?

A matrix of a linear transformation is a mathematical representation of a linear transformation in terms of a matrix. It is a rectangular array of numbers that can be used to perform operations on vectors to produce new vectors.

How is a matrix of a linear transformation related to a linear transformation?

A matrix of a linear transformation is a numerical representation of a linear transformation. It contains the same information as the linear transformation, but in a different form. The matrix allows for easier computation and manipulation of the transformation.

How do you determine the size of a matrix of a linear transformation?

The size of a matrix of a linear transformation is determined by the dimensions of the vector space it is acting upon. If the vector space has n dimensions, the matrix will be n x n. This means that the matrix will have n rows and n columns.

What is the relationship between the columns of a matrix of a linear transformation and the basis vectors of the vector space?

The columns of a matrix of a linear transformation represent the images of the basis vectors of the vector space. This means that by multiplying the matrix by a vector, you will get the vector's image under the transformation. The columns of the matrix also form a basis for the vector space.

How can you use a matrix of a linear transformation to perform operations on vectors?

A matrix of a linear transformation can be multiplied by a vector to produce a new vector that is the image of the original vector under the transformation. This allows for easy computation of the transformation on any vector in the vector space. Matrices can also be used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and composition of transformations.