Need help on understanding this notation

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary: No, \begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array} is a different quantity. It is the maximum value of the numerical expression q_1/||P|| where Q can be any matrix and P must be such that A^TP+ PA+ Q= 0.
Firepanda
20uqt11.jpg
Where it says maxQ I don't understand.

Q is a matrix, so are A and P.

I know what q1 and the 2-norm of P are, but what on Earth does max Q mean?

I started with the matrix A, I've selected Q as positive definite arbitrarily, and I received a matrix P. I need to now find rho but I'm stuck on what max Q means.

Physics news on Phys.org
maxQ means to take the maximum over all possible Q that satisfy the given equation. q1 and P will vary depending on what the matrix Q is.

n!kofeyn said:
maxQ means to take the maximum over all possible Q that satisfy the given equation. q1 and P will vary depending on what the matrix Q is.

I still really don't understand this part, can you simplify it a bit?

Say if I have a matrix Q = [1 2; 3 4]

What is the max Q?

Firepanda said:
I still really don't understand this part, can you simplify it a bit?

Say if I have a matrix Q = [1 2; 3 4]

What is the max Q?
There is no such thing. Matrices are not "ordered" and so do not have "max" or "min".

It's not "max Q", it is [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex], the maximum taken by a numerical expression over all possible values of Q. This isn't saying anything about a maximum of Q, it's talking about the maximum value of the numerical expression [itex]q_1/||P||[/itex] where Q can be any matrix and P must be such that [itex]A^TP+ PA+ Q= 0[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
There is no such thing. Matrices are not "ordered" and so do not have "max" or "min".

It's not "max Q", it is [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex], the maximum taken by a numerical expression over all possible values of Q. This isn't saying anything about a maximum of Q, it's talking about the maximum value of the numerical expression [itex]q_1/||P||[/itex] where Q can be any matrix and P must be such that [itex]A^TP+ PA+ Q= 0[/itex]

Ok thanks, so I don't need to alter the calculation of [itex]q_1/(2||P||)[/itex] and treat it the same as if [tex]\begin{array} amax \\ Q\end{array}[/tex] wasn't there?

1. What does this notation mean?

This notation is a symbolic representation of a concept or mathematical expression. It is used to communicate ideas in a concise and precise manner.

2. How can I understand this notation better?

The best way to understand notation is to break it down into smaller parts and understand each component separately. Also, seeking help from a tutor or professor can be beneficial.

3. Why is notation important in science?

Notation allows scientists to communicate complex ideas and equations in a standardized and efficient way. It also helps to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of concepts.

4. Can I create my own notation?

While it is possible to create your own notation, it is generally not recommended as it can lead to confusion and misunderstanding among other scientists who may not be familiar with your notation.

5. How can I keep track of different notations used in my field of study?

It is important to familiarize yourself with common notations used in your field of study and to keep a reference guide or note-taking system to help you remember and understand them. Consulting with other scientists and reading research papers can also help in staying updated with common notations.