Griffiths E&M: Do bound charges physically exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bound charges and their physical existence. The equation for the electric displacement field includes both free and bound charges, but the equation for the electric field only includes free charges. This is because the bound charges are absorbed in the polarization vector.
jin8
Hello,
Well, actually it's not a homework problem, I just got really confused about bound charges.
Originally, I thought it was just a special technique to do the integral, but somehow Griffiths suggest that bound charges are phsically exist.(chap. 4.2.2) Well, I can accept his argument, but later when we do the boundary condition problem, we have the equation
Integral D dv = Q (free)
So why it's Q free, not Q free plus the surface bound charge ? I know the math why the equation is true, but if surface bound charge physically exist, I don't think the equation make any sense...

Any help is appreciated..
Thanks
-Jin

Physics news on Phys.org
The bound charges do exist. You see them in:

[tex]\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \rho = \rho_{free} + \rho_{bound}[/tex]

Don't forget:

[tex]\vec{D} = \epsilon_0 \vec{E} + \vec{P}[/tex]

So the bound charges are absorbed in the polarization vector.

Hi Jin! :smile:

I don't have a copy of Griffiths, but if D in this is the electric displacement field , then by definition only the free charge is involved.

(For P, only the bound charge is involved, and for E the total charge is involved)

1. Do bound charges physically exist?

This is a commonly asked question about Griffiths E&M, as the concept of bound charges can be confusing. The answer is yes, bound charges do physically exist. They are the charges that are present within a material due to the arrangement of its atoms and molecules.

2. What is the difference between bound charges and free charges?

Bound charges are those that are held within a material and cannot move freely, while free charges are able to move within a material. Bound charges are responsible for the polarization of a material, while free charges are responsible for conducting electricity.

3. How do bound charges contribute to the electric field?

Bound charges contribute to the electric field through their alignment within a material. In the presence of an external electric field, bound charges will shift and align themselves in a way that creates an opposing electric field, leading to the overall polarization of the material.

4. Can bound charges be separated from the material?

No, bound charges cannot be separated from the material as they are an inherent property of the material's structure. Only free charges can be separated from a material.

5. How do bound charges affect the behavior of materials in an electric field?

The presence of bound charges in a material affects its behavior in an electric field in several ways. Bound charges contribute to the overall polarization of the material, which can affect its dielectric properties. Bound charges also create an opposing electric field, leading to a decrease in the overall electric field within the material.