Partial derivatives as basis vectors?

In summary, you can recover the Cartesian basis vectors of flat spacetime by specifying a scalar field on which the partial derivatives operate.
Rearden
Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding how people can make calculations using the partial derivatives as basis vectors on a manifold. Are you allowed to specify a scalar field on which they can operate? eg. in GR, can you define f(x,y,z,t) = x + y + z + t, in order to recover the Cartesian basis vectors of flat spacetime? Or am I missing the point?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
They act on smooth functions [itex]f:M\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex], where M is the manifold. Note that M isn't (usually) a vector space, but its tangent space [itex]T_pM[/itex] at any point [itex]p\in M[/itex] is. The derivative operators are basis vectors for those vector spaces.

See also this post.

It's purely a matter of notation. There is no interesting physics involved. You never really use the partial derivative operators to take the partial derivative of any actual function. The reason the notation makes sense is that derivative operators have the transformation properties implied by the notation.

I think I understand. So does a four-velocity vector expressed in flat spacetime with a Cartesian basis have exactly the same components as the corresponding tangent vector on a manifold, despite the nominally different basis vectors?

bcrowell said:
It's purely a matter of notation. There is no interesting physics involved. You never really use the partial derivative operators to take the partial derivative of any actual function.

False. I use them to take derivatives all the time: as operators in differential equations, for calculating commutators of Killing vectors, etc. I find the literal interpretation of tangent vectors as derivative operators to be quite productive.

I also use the basis 1-forms as linear functionals acting on vectors.

Rearden said:
I think I understand. So does a four-velocity vector expressed in flat spacetime with a Cartesian basis have exactly the same components as the corresponding tangent vector on a manifold, despite the nominally different basis vectors?
Yes. Suppose that [itex]C:[a,b]\rightarrow M[/itex] is a curve in a manifold, and [itex]x:U\rightarrow\mathbb R^n[/itex] is a coordinate system such that [itex]C([a,b])\subset U[/itex]. The union of all the tangent spaces [itex]TM=\bigcup_{p\in M}T_pM[/itex] is called the tangent bundle. A function [tex]V:[a,b]\rightarrow TM[/itex] such that [itex]V(t)\in T_{C(t)}M[/itex] for all [itex]t\in[a,b][/itex], is called a vector field along the curve C. We're interested in a particular vector field along the curve, called the velocity vector field of C, or the tangent vector field of C. It's often written as [tex]\dot C[/tex] and is defined by

[tex]\dot C(t)(f)=(f\circ C)'(t)[/tex]

To find its components, we need to express [tex]\dot C(t)[/tex] as a linear combination of the [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\bigg|_{C(t)}[/tex]. This isn't hard if we know the chain rule.

[tex](f\circ C)'(t)=(f\circ x^{-1}\circ x\circ C)'(t)=(f\circ x^{-1})_{,i}(x(C(t)))(x\circ C)^i'(t)=(x\circ C)^i'(t)\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\bigg|_{C(t)}f[/tex]

so

[tex]\dot C(t)=(x\circ C)^i'(t)\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\bigg|_{C(t)}[/tex]

Define [tex]\tilde x=x\circ C[/tex]. This is a curve in [tex]\mathbb R^n[/tex], and the tangent vector at [tex]\tilde x(t)[/tex] of such a curve, is defined as [tex]\tilde x'(t)=(\tilde x^1'(t),\dots,\tilde x^n'(t))[/tex]. So its components can be written as [tex]\tilde x^i'(t)=(x\circ C)^i'(t)[/tex], which as we just saw, are also the components of [tex]\dot C(t)[/tex] in the basis that consists of the partial derivative operators at C(t), constructed from the coordinate system x.

Last edited:
Exactly what I needed,

Thanks a lot!

1. What are partial derivatives as basis vectors?

Partial derivatives as basis vectors are vectors that represent the direction and magnitude of the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. They are used to describe how a function changes along each of its independent variables.

2. How are partial derivatives as basis vectors used in mathematics?

Partial derivatives as basis vectors are used in mathematics to calculate the gradient of a multivariable function. They are also used in vector calculus to calculate the directional derivative of a function in a specific direction.

3. How are partial derivatives as basis vectors related to linear algebra?

Partial derivatives as basis vectors are closely related to linear algebra, as they can be represented as a linear combination of basis vectors. They are also used to define basis vectors for tangent spaces in differential geometry.

4. Can partial derivatives as basis vectors be used in real-world applications?

Yes, partial derivatives as basis vectors have numerous real-world applications. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivatives as basis vectors?

One limitation of using partial derivatives as basis vectors is that they may not always exist for a given function. This can occur when the function is discontinuous or undefined at certain points. Additionally, they may be difficult to calculate for highly complex functions.