Could anyone recommend me a book

• Thread starter superkam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: Lecture series are recommended for advanced students and Schaum's outline is recommended for beginners.In summary, the individual is a first year Physics student at Warwick University and is seeking a book recommendation for their Electricity and Magnetism module. The syllabus includes topics such as Gauss' law, capacitors, DC circuits, Kirchoff's Laws, Biot Savart Law, Ampere's Law, Faradays Law, Lenz's Law and AC Circuits. The Feynman Lecture series was suggested by the tutor, but the content was deemed too advanced. A few recommended textbooks are University Physics by Young&Freedman, Physics by Halliday Resnick and Krane, and Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway y
superkam
Hi I'm a first year Physicist at Warwick University and I'm coming up to my end of year exams all of which I am fine with apart from a module called 'Electricity and Magnetism'. Thus I wondered if anyone could recommend me a book which may help me understand the concepts covered in this module, here is a brief outline of the syllabus of the module:

Gauss' law, Capacitors, DC circuits, Kirchoff's Laws, Biot Savart Law, Ampere's Law, Faradays Law, Lenz's Law and AC Circuits.

My tutor recommended the Feynman Lecture series but having looked at these I found that most of the content was a little advanced for what I was expecting in the exam.

Anyone input would be very much appreciated, thanks, Kamran.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might be fine with any normal undergraduate textbook like University Physics by Young&Freedman, Physics by Halliday Resnick and Krane, Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway yadayada.

If you want something more advanced, Purcell isn't bad.

physicsnoob93 said:
You might be fine with any normal undergraduate textbook like University Physics by Young&Freedman, Physics by Halliday Resnick and Krane, Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway yadayada.

If you want something more advanced, Purcell isn't bad.

Ok thank you for your input :)

Schaum's outline has many problems along with solutions. It's probably want you want to look at first.

-F

Hello Kamran,

As a fellow physicist, I understand the stress and pressure of exams and wanting to find the right resources to help understand difficult concepts. Based on the syllabus you provided, I would recommend "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. This textbook covers all the topics you listed and is widely used in undergraduate physics courses. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to understand for beginners. Additionally, it includes plenty of practice problems to help solidify your understanding of the material.

Another option could be "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell. This textbook is also commonly used in undergraduate courses and covers the topics in a more conceptual approach, which may be helpful for understanding the underlying principles behind the equations.

Ultimately, the best book for you will depend on your personal learning style and preferences. I suggest browsing through these textbooks and seeing which one speaks to you the most. Good luck with your exams!

Best,

1. What genre of books are you interested in?

This question is important because it will help me recommend a book that aligns with your preferences. Some popular genres include fiction, non-fiction, science fiction, romance, and mystery.

2. Have you read any books by a specific author or series that you enjoyed?

Knowing your favorite authors or series can provide me with a better understanding of your reading preferences. This information will help me recommend a book that you might enjoy based on similar writing styles or themes.

3. Are you looking for a specific length or reading level?

Some readers prefer shorter books that can be finished in a few hours, while others enjoy longer books that they can spend more time with. Additionally, some books may have a higher reading level and may require more advanced language comprehension.

4. Do you have any specific topics or themes in mind?

Knowing your interests can help me recommend a book that you will find engaging and thought-provoking. Whether you are interested in history, self-help, or fantasy, narrowing down your desired topics can lead to a more personalized book recommendation.

5. Is there a specific format you prefer, such as physical books, e-books, or audiobooks?

Some readers have a strong preference for a specific format of a book, which can impact their reading experience. For example, some people enjoy the convenience of e-books, while others prefer the sensory experience of physically turning the pages of a book. Let me know if you have a preferred format, and I can recommend a book in that format.