G of CO2 per kWh from burning methane

In summary, the conversation discussed a chart claiming that burning methane yields 360 g of CO2 per kWh of energy released. However, after performing the necessary calculations, the speaker found that the actual amount is closer to 178 g/kWh. They realize that their mistake was using the wrong unit of measurement and thank cesiumfrog for pointing it out.
Archosaur
http://europe.theoildrum.com/node/6638" has a chart that claims that the burning of methane yields 360 g of CO2 per kWh of energy released. I decided to check that, but I'm not getting the same answer they suggest. Here's what I did:

CH4 + 2O2 = 2H2O + CO2
-74.87 + 0= 2*-285.83 + -393.509
= -571.66 + -393.509 +74.87= -890.229 kJ/mol

(all standard enthalpies of formation came from wikipedia)

CO2 is 44.011 g/mol
890.229 kJ is 0.24728583333 kWh (significant figures be damned)

44.011/0.24728583333 ≈ 178 g/kWh, as opposed to their 360 g/kWh

I can't help but notice that my answer is suspiciously close to a factor of 2 off... but my eq. is balanced...
Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You say per kWhr of heat, but their graph says per kWhr of electricity.

*slaps forehead

I figured I'd be kicking myself.
Thanks, cesiumfrog.

1. What is the significance of measuring "G of CO2 per kWh from burning methane"?

Measuring the amount of CO2 produced per kilowatt hour (kWh) from burning methane is important because it allows us to understand the environmental impact of using methane as a source of energy. It helps us determine the carbon footprint of using methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas, as a fuel.

2. How is "G of CO2 per kWh from burning methane" calculated?

The amount of CO2 produced per kWh from burning methane is calculated by first measuring the energy output in kWh from burning a certain amount of methane. This is then multiplied by the emissions factor for methane, which is the amount of CO2 emitted per unit of energy produced. The resulting value is expressed in grams (g) of CO2 per kWh.

3. What is the difference between methane and CO2?

Methane and CO2 are both greenhouse gases, but they differ in their potency. Methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas, meaning it has a greater ability to trap heat in the atmosphere. It is also shorter-lived in the atmosphere compared to CO2, which remains in the atmosphere for much longer periods of time.

4. How does the "G of CO2 per kWh from burning methane" impact the environment?

The amount of CO2 produced per kWh from burning methane has a significant impact on the environment. Burning methane releases large amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming and climate change. This can also have negative effects on human health and the natural environment.

5. Can the "G of CO2 per kWh from burning methane" be reduced?

Yes, the amount of CO2 produced per kWh from burning methane can be reduced through various methods. One way is to capture and store the CO2 emissions from burning methane, preventing it from entering the atmosphere. Another way is to use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, instead of burning methane. Additionally, implementing energy efficiency measures can reduce the overall energy demand and decrease the amount of methane burned.