First Project - Simple FM Radio/Receiver made Complex

In summary, the conversation discusses a first project involving a schematic for a simple FM radio receiver called the 'Radio Shack Special.' The receiver will be connected to an Automatic Gain/Volume Control circuit which will then be directed to an LED flasher, LED VU meter, and a 45W amplifier. The circuits will have dedicated power supplies and the LED circuits will share a single +/-12v supply. The conversation then moves on to discussing methods of lowering the output voltage of the receiver and the AVC. These include using small transformers, resistors in series or parallel, voltage dividers, linear drop-out regulators, and op-amp attenuators. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read some books for further understanding and sources for the components needed
Voltman13
Hey everyone,

I'm taking on a fairly difficult first project. It's based around a schematic called the 'Radio Shack Special,' which is a simple, super-regenerative radio receiver that is configured to pick up FM signals (It is supposed to be capable of both AM and FM).

The FM receiver's signal will be sent though an Automatic Gain/Volume Control (AGC/AVC) circuit, in an attempt to even out the stations. The receiver is apparently flooded by local signals.

The output of the AVC will be directed into three things: An LED flasher (flashes with current), LED VU meter (detects change in current), and a 45W amplifier.

The receiver, AVC, and the 45W amplifier will have dedicated power supplies.
The LED circuits will share a single +/-12v supply.

This is the basic layout I've come up with:

(1) - FM receiver (Radio Shack Special)
(2) - Automatic gain control
(3) -- Flashing LED's
(4) -- LED VU Meter
(5) -- 45W Amplifier

(2) is linked to (1), and (3) - (5) are linked to (2).

Now here are the questions:

All of the circuits below the FM receiver require an input voltage of about 0.7v RMS. However, the FM receiver has a built in LM386 low power op-amp. How can the output voltage of the receiver be lowered without degrading the signal? I've looked into bypassing the LM386, removing it completely, or simply lowering its output voltage. My preference would be to lower its output voltage.

Secondly, the AVC will most likely produce high output voltages, considering that it requires a +/- 15v power supply. The AVC is difficult to modify, so the voltage will have to be reduced after the circuit. What's the best way to reduce its output voltage?

>> I've looked into several methods of reducing output voltage.

- Small transformers: This could lead to a washed out signal.
- Resistors in series: Will work, but the resistors could add unwanted noise, or overheat.
- Resistors in parallel: This is basically the same as using one resister, but would require larger resistances (eg. 3x 255k) to have the same affect of a single resistor (eg. 85k). This would lower the chances of toasting the resistors (To my knowledge).
- Voltage dividers: This is similar to a resistor in series, but is more adjustable.
- Linear Drop-Out regulators: No knowledge.
- Op-amp attenuators: No knowledge (I'll continue my research, of course).

Needless to say, I need to read some books. Any recommendations?

Thank you very much,

Voltman13

Sources:

45W Amp: http://www.redcircuits.com/Page150.htm

AVC: http://electroschematics.com/479/aut...olume-control/

VU Meter: http://www.circuit-projects.com/audi...and-lm324.html

FM Receiver (Radio Shack Special) -

Website is down: http://braincambre500.freeservers.co...)(1)(1).htm#aa

Older design: http://www.somerset.net/arm/reprints...ecial/rss.html

The LED flasher circuit will be designed soon, after everything else is sorted out.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome
There's plenty there for a first project. Good luck with it.
If you think your level is too high at some stage, why not just change the gain of that op-amp stage by using the appropriate feedback resistors (which will be there in any case -so you just need to change the values)? If you have only a low gain in that stage the feedback will make the op-amp very linear and wide band!

If you want to use a resistive pot-down that will have no significant effect on the noise level because the signal is already high. Noise is only a problem for very low wanted signal levels.

Have fun.

1. What is a simple FM radio/receiver made complex?

A simple FM radio/receiver made complex refers to the modification or improvement of a basic FM radio or receiver to enhance its functionality and performance. This can involve adding additional features, using more advanced technology, or making the circuit more complex to achieve better results.

2. How is a simple FM radio/receiver made complex different from a regular FM radio/receiver?

A simple FM radio/receiver made complex is different from a regular FM radio/receiver in terms of its circuit complexity, added features, and performance. Regular FM radios/receivers are designed for basic use and have a simple circuit, while a complex FM radio/receiver has a more elaborate circuit and additional features for better performance.

3. What are some common features of a complex FM radio/receiver?

Some common features of a complex FM radio/receiver include a wider frequency range, better audio quality, multiple tuning options, improved sensitivity and selectivity, and the ability to receive different types of signals such as AM, shortwave, or weather broadcasts.

4. How does a complex FM radio/receiver improve performance?

A complex FM radio/receiver improves performance by using advanced circuitry and components that allow for better signal reception, stronger amplification, and clearer audio output. It also has additional features that provide more control and options for tuning and adjusting the radio to suit the user's preferences.

5. Can a simple FM radio/receiver be made complex by anyone?

Yes, anyone with sufficient knowledge and skills in electronics and radio technology can modify a simple FM radio/receiver to make it more complex. However, it requires a good understanding of circuit design and components, as well as access to the necessary tools and equipment for the modification process.