Fix VBA Runtime 1004 Error in Excel Program

In summary, the conversation is about the individual's first attempt at writing a VBA program to square items in an Excel column and output the answer in a different column. They encounter a runtime error and are unsure how to fix it, but the expert suggests two solutions involving properly defining the range and declaring the variable as a Long to avoid an overflow error. After making these changes, the program is now working.
dmatador
This is my first attempt at writing a VBA program. I am just trying to square items in excel in column 'A' and output the answer to column 'B'.

Option Explicit

Sub timestimes()
Dim n As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim z As Integer

n = Range("A").Count

For i = 1 To n
z = Range("A").Cells(i).Value
Range("B").Cells(i).Value = z * z * z
Next i
End Sub

It's giving me the previously noted runtime error along with the message Method 'Range' of object '_global' failed. I am clueless as to how to fix this problem since I know very very little about the language and working with excel like this. Any suggestions?

Technology news on Phys.org
I see two problems:

1) "A" isn't a range. You need something like: Range("A2:G85")

2) You can't count a range. You count cells within a range. Example: n = Range("A1:B33").Cells.Count

You can use n = Columns("A").Cells.Count but you'll get an overflow error if you are using Excel 2007 because an integer can't hold that big a number (1048576). You'd need to declare n as a Long.

Last edited:
Thanks. It is working now.

What is the VBA Runtime 1004 Error in Excel Program?

The VBA Runtime 1004 Error is an error message that appears when there is a problem with the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code in an Excel program. It indicates that there is a runtime error in the code and the program cannot continue running.

What causes the VBA Runtime 1004 Error in Excel Program?

The VBA Runtime 1004 Error can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect syntax in the VBA code, referencing a range that does not exist, or trying to perform an operation on a protected sheet or workbook.

How can I fix the VBA Runtime 1004 Error in Excel Program?

To fix the VBA Runtime 1004 Error, you will need to debug your VBA code and identify the specific line or lines causing the error. This can be done by using the "Debug" feature in the VBA editor, checking for any syntax errors, and ensuring that all referenced ranges and objects exist. You may also need to protect or unprotect your sheet or workbook before running the code.

Can I prevent the VBA Runtime 1004 Error from occurring?

While it is not always possible to prevent the VBA Runtime 1004 Error, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering it. These include writing well-structured and error-handling code, avoiding using "Select" and "Activate" statements, and testing your code thoroughly before running it.

Is the VBA Runtime 1004 Error a serious issue?

The VBA Runtime 1004 Error is not a serious issue in itself, but it can cause frustration and hinder the functionality of your Excel program. It is important to address and fix this error as soon as possible to ensure the smooth running of your VBA code.