Need to find the intervals where the function increase, decrease & concavity

In summary: I ended up withf"(x)=((2x^(4)+36x^(2)+81)(4x^(2)-9))/((x^(2)-9)^3)but why? i simplified...and this is what I ended up withf"(x)=((2x^(4)+36x^(2)+81)(4x^(2)-9))/((x^(2)-9)^3)Your original function is x/(x^2 - 9).When you differentiate using the quotient rule you should get:-(x^2 - 9) - (2x)(x) / (x^2 - 9)^2 The derivative is correct.Your der
619snake
the function is:
x/(x^2 - 9)
i have found the horizontal asymptote(y=0) and vertical asymptote (x=3, x=-3)
the first derivative is giving me problems =(

Physics news on Phys.org
619snake said:
the function is:
x/(x^2 - 9)
i have found the horizontal asymptote(y=0) and vertical asymptote (x=3, x=-3)
the first derivative is giving me problems =(

Have you tried the quotient rule ? Please post any sort of attempt at a solution.

I ve done the quotient rule but i can't find the points that are 0

A function can be increasing in an interval and decreasing in an other, without having extrema. Find out the sign of the first derivative and sketch the function knowing its asymptotes. .

ehild

Last edited:
619snake said:
I ve done the quotient rule but i can't find the points that are 0

If you have done the first derievative you should not have problems finding out where the function is increasing or decreasing; as long as you know the definitions .

This is why I want to see your solution so that I can point out any errors.

I have no idea what you mean by " i can't find the points that are 0" .

this is what i get as
f'(x)=-x^(2)-9/(x^(2)-9)^2
sry to use so many parenthesis but I am writing from an ipod.

619snake said:
this is what i get as
f'(x)=-x^(2)-9/(x^(2)-9)^2
sry to use so many parenthesis but I am writing from an ipod.

Actually you should have used an another parentheses if you mean (-x^2-9)/(x^2-9)^2. That's the right derivative. Your numerator is always negative and your denominator is always positive (unless x=3 or x=(-3)), right? Are there ANY points where the derivative is zero?

I think the answer is: no points that makes the derivative 0 except x=3, x=-3
but still going to do the process to verify

619snake said:
I think the answer is: no points that makes the derivative 0 except x=3, x=-3
but still going to do the process to verify

How do x = 3 or x = -3 make the derivative 0?

Ok... I think I got confused... I was writing while in a class...
this is what I got:

horizontal asymptote: (y=0) *don't know if it's right*
Vertical asymptote: x=3, x=(-3)
the domain is: (-[tex]\infty[/tex],-3) U (-3,3) U (3,[tex]\infty[/tex])

derivative:
f'(x)= (-x^(2)-9)/(x^(2)-9)^2

what I need to find is the sign of the first derivative... do I need to use the points between those of the domain?... I'm not too sure about this... the professor gives like two or three examples, and it's hard follow up... goes so fast :cry:

619snake said:
Ok... I think I got confused... I was writing while in a class...
this is what I got:

horizontal asymptote: (y=0) *don't know if it's right*
Vertical asymptote: x=3, x=(-3)

derivative:

what I need to find is the sign of the first derivative... do I need to use the points between those of the domain?... I'm not too sure about this... the professor gives like two or three examples, and it's hard follow up... goes so fast :cry:

What you have so far is correct but remember the definitions.

The function has a horizontal asymptote at y=0 because the limit as x --> +/- infinity =0

A function is increasing on an interval (a,b) or (a,b) if f '(x)>0 on (a,b)
A function is decreasing on an interval (a,b) or (a,b) if f '(x)< 0 on (a,b)

What can you tell me about f'(x)?

is f' (x) >0 anywhere ?
is f ' (x) < 0 anywhere ?

619snake said:

derivative:

what I need to find is the sign of the first derivative... do I need to use the points between those of the domain?
I don't understand what you're asking here.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand what you're asking here.

I believe he wants to find where the derievative is positive and negative using the intervals of the domain.

ok, if I'm not mistaken, f'(x) < 0 (-3,3)

619snake said:
ok, if I'm not mistaken, f'(x) < 0 (-3,3)

You aren't mistaken about that. But that's not the only interval where f'(x)<0. What are the others?

ok the others are f'(x) < 0 (-[tex]\infty[/tex],-3), (3,[tex]\infty[/tex])
I guess it's because of the asymptotes :uhh: :confused:

619snake said:
ok the others are f'(x) < 0 (-[tex]\infty[/tex],-3), (3,[tex]\infty[/tex])
I guess it's because of the asymptotes :uhh: :confused:

Yes, thank you. It's decreasing EVERYWHERE except at the vertical asymptotes where it makes a huge jump. Can you sketch a graph of the function? Now you have to do concavity, right?

Yes I need to do concavity... it is a bit weird... because the second derivative is pretty long, and have really big numbers

619snake said:
Yes I need to do concavity... it is a bit weird... because the second derivative is pretty long, and have really big numbers

It's not that bad if you keep the x^2-9 factored. As before, it would be nice if you'd show us your result.

well... i got something like this... hope I am not mistaken xD

f"(x)= ((-2x(x^(2)-9)^2)+(x^(2)-9)(4x^(3)-36x))/(x^(8)-36x^(6)+486^(4)-2916x^(2)+6561)

When you expanded the denominator, you did a lot of extra work for no advantage. As Dick suggested, you should leave the x^2 - 9 stuff unexpanded. This will allow you to simplify the numerator and denominator somewhat, because both have a factor of x^2 - 9

I see two sign errors in the numerator.

im sorry about those signs errors
now i have something like this, after correcting the errors
f"(x)=(-2x+(x^(2)+9)(4x^(3)-36x))/(x^(2)-9)^2

619snake said:
im sorry about those signs errors
now i have something like this, after correcting the errors
EDIT **

Your derievative is incorrect.

Last edited:
but why? i simplified already

619snake said:
but why? i simplified already

Check your work again.

if

(4x^(3)-36x) = 4x(x^2 -9)

f"(x)= 4x(-2x+(x^(2)+9)/(x^(2)-9)

Which I highly doubt considering the numerator is of a higher degree than the denominator.

You answer should look like
k(x)( ax^2 + b) / (x^2 -9)^3 for some integers k,a,b.

ok without that thing i did, the derivative is like this:
f"(x)=(-2x(x^(2)-9)^2)+(x^(2)-9)(4x^(3)-36x)/(x^(2)-9)^4

Edit: fixed exponent.
Unsimplified, the second derivative is
[tex]f''(x) = \frac{(x^2 - 9)^2(-2x) + (x^2 + 9)(4x(x^2 - 9))}{(x^2 - 9)^4}[/tex]

This can be simplified somewhat by removing common factors of the numerator and denominator.

I can see that you are being diligent about putting parentheses in, but there are some you use that are not needed. Any time an exponent is a positive integer, you don't need parentheses around it. Doing so just makes what you have written harder to read and understand.

For example, there is no reason to write x^(2). x^2 means the same thing and is clearer. On the other hand, you need parentheses for x^(-1) and e^(2x).

Last edited:
must ask, when the second derivative:
the second part of the term (-2x)(x^2-9) doesn't get squared like this:
"(-2x)(x^2-9)^2"?

Right, that factor in the first term should be (x^2 - 9)^2. I had it in my notes, but neglected to write it in my post. I've gone back and edited my post.

When you simplify the numerator, resist the urge to multiply everything out. The best way to do things is to find write the numerator in factored form. That way it will be easier to determine the sign of f''(x).

so... what is left now is to try to simplify and evaluate the second derivative right?

if I'm not mistaken, after simplifying, the derivative ends like this:
f"(x)=(2x(x^2 + 27))/(x^2 - 9)^3

Last edited:
yay! now i can sketch the graph!

1. What is the definition of "increasing" and "decreasing" in a function?

Increasing and decreasing in a function refer to the direction of change in the output values as the input values increase. When the output values increase as the input values increase, the function is considered increasing. When the output values decrease as the input values increase, the function is considered decreasing.

2. How can I determine where a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine where a function is increasing or decreasing, you can find the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. The points where the derivative is equal to zero are called critical points, and they indicate where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

3. What is the significance of finding the intervals where a function increases or decreases?

Finding the intervals where a function increases or decreases can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its future values. It can also help us identify the maximum and minimum values of the function, which are important in many real-world applications.

4. How can I determine the concavity of a function?

The concavity of a function refers to the curvature of the graph of the function. To determine the concavity, you can find the second derivative of the function and evaluate it at different points. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up, and if it is negative, the function is concave down.

5. Why is it important to identify the intervals of concavity in a function?

Identifying the intervals of concavity in a function can help us understand the shape of the graph and make predictions about the behavior of the function. It can also help us identify the points of inflection, where the concavity changes, which can be useful in optimizing the function or solving real-world problems.