Spectroscopy and Russell-Saunders coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum and its application in spectroscopy. The first point made is that in an atom, for a closed subshell, the sum of the m_l quantum numbers for each electron is equal to 0. However, the course concludes that this means the magnitude of the total angular momentum must also be 0, which the speaker disagrees with. The second point is that the same rule applies to spin angular momenta. The speaker's main question is how to determine the possible values for the magnitude of L when only given the magnitudes of individual electron angular momenta and their projections on the z-axis. They suggest that if only M_L=0 is possible, then the only total angular momentum possible
Amok
So, this has been bugging me for years (seriously). So my spectroscopy course says the following:

1) In an atom, for a closed subshell, for each electron possesing an [tex]m_l[/tex] quantum number there is another electron possesing [tex]-m_l[/tex], which means that the sum [tex]M_L = \sum {m_l} = 0[/tex]. I have no problem with this, it is pretty obvious. However, my course concludes from this that the magnitude of the total angular momentum (magnitude of L) has to be 0! How can they know that, I would only conclude that the projection of the vector L on the z-axis is 0 and nothing else!

2)The same rule applies to spin angular momenta.

I guess my more general doubt is how to determine the possible values for the magnitude of L (the sum of angular momenta of electrons) by knowing only the magnitudes of the angular momentum of each individual electron as well as the projection of angular momenta of electron on the z-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
If, for example, ##L=1##, then there must exist states with ##M_L= \pm 1## in addition to ##M_L=0##.

If only ##M_L=0## can exist, then the only total angular momentum possible is ##L=0##.

What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves analyzing the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a material to gain information about its composition, structure, and properties.

What is Russell-Saunders coupling?

Russell-Saunders coupling is a model used to describe the coupling of electron spins and orbital angular momenta in atoms. It predicts the energy levels and spectral lines of atoms based on the interactions between these quantum properties.

How is spectroscopy used in Russell-Saunders coupling?

Spectroscopy is used to measure the energy levels and spectral lines of atoms, which can then be compared to the predictions of the Russell-Saunders coupling model. This helps to validate the model and provide a better understanding of the interactions between electron spins and orbital angular momenta in atoms.

What are the limitations of Russell-Saunders coupling?

Russell-Saunders coupling is a simplified model and does not take into account all the possible interactions between electron spins and orbital angular momenta. It also does not accurately predict the energy levels of atoms with more than one valence electron, and its predictions may deviate from experimental results in these cases.

What are some applications of spectroscopy and Russell-Saunders coupling?

Spectroscopy and Russell-Saunders coupling have various applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy. They are used to identify and characterize elements and compounds, study the structure of molecules, and analyze the composition of stars and other astronomical objects.