State Functions and Order of Diff and Enthelpy

In summary: Otherwise, the two equations are equivalent. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of state functions and their differentiation, the meaning of the order of differentiation for state functions, the calculation of enthalpy when volume is constant, and the equations for enthalpy in different scenarios.
cns
I am working on some basic derivations for thermodyhnamics, my book doesn't explicitly state things so I am not sure if my current assumptions are correct?

1) All state functions (U,T,P,G,A) are exact differentials AND all non-state functions are INexact differntials. So if I take the 2nd derivative, I will get the same function for M and N in the example of dz = M(x,y) + N(x,y)

2) What does my book mean when it says that the order of differentiation doesn't matter for state functions?

- what do they mean by order of differentiation? does t

3) How do I calculate (delta)Enthalpy when volume is constant? It looks like it would be qv but when it comes to bomb calorimeters my book keeps using qp?

If H = U + PV, shouldn't constant volume make H = U? for reversible and irrev?

H = q/T only pressure is constant + reversible?

Why is it that my book shows dH = dU + PdV RATHER THAN d(PV) = dU+ VdP+PdV (expanding for chainge P and V?)

Thank YOU :D

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
cns said:
I am working on some basic derivations for thermodyhnamics, my book doesn't explicitly state things so I am not sure if my current assumptions are correct?

1) All state functions (U,T,P,G,A) are exact differentials AND all non-state functions are INexact differntials. So if I take the 2nd derivative, I will get the same function for M and N in the example of dz = M(x,y) + N(x,y)

2) What does my book mean when it says that the order of differentiation doesn't matter for state functions?

- what do they mean by order of differentiation? does t
It means that $$\frac{\partial ^2 U}{\partial T\partial V}=\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial V\partial T}$$
3) How do I calculate (delta)Enthalpy when volume is constant? It looks like it would be qv but when it comes to bomb calorimeters my book keeps using qp?
Enthalpy is independent of process path, so it is not specifically related to qv or qp, except when employed to analyze a particular process.
If H = U + PV, shouldn't constant volume make H = U? for reversible and irrev?
Again, it is independent of process path and, if V is constant, you still have H depending on P. Reversible or irreversible is irrelevant.
H = q/T only pressure is constant + reversible?
Neither. The units don't match.
Why is it that my book shows dH = dU + PdV RATHER THAN d(PV) = dU+ VdP+PdV (expanding for chainge P and V?)
Maybe your book is referring to a case in which the initial and final pressures are the same.

What are state functions?

State functions are physical quantities that only depend on the current state of a system and are independent of the path taken to reach that state. They do not change with time and are not affected by the process or reaction that takes place.

What is the order of differentiation in thermodynamics?

The order of differentiation in thermodynamics refers to the number of variables that are being held constant when calculating the change in a state function. For example, a first-order derivative is when one variable is held constant, while a second-order derivative is when two variables are held constant.

What is the difference between heat and enthalpy?

Heat and enthalpy are both measures of energy, but they differ in how they are measured. Heat is a transfer of energy between two systems, while enthalpy is the total amount of energy contained within a system, including both the internal energy and the energy required to displace the surrounding atmosphere.

How do state functions relate to thermodynamic equilibrium?

State functions are useful in understanding thermodynamic equilibrium because they remain constant at equilibrium. This means that the values of state functions can be used to determine when a system has reached equilibrium and to calculate the equilibrium conditions.

What is the significance of state functions in thermodynamics?

State functions are important in thermodynamics because they allow us to describe and analyze the behavior of systems without needing to know the specific processes that take place. They also help us to understand the concept of energy conservation and the conditions for equilibrium in a system.