Finding image of linear transformation (difficult)

In summary, Micromass explains how to find the image of a linear transformation using a basis and solving for echelon form. He also points out that you can prove the image forms a subspace of a given space by showing that 0 is in the image for a given linear transformation and satisfying the scaler multiplication and axiom of extension.
andrey21
1. Find the image of the linear transformation whose matrix is given by:

1 2 5 2
4 -3 1 0
10 -13 -7 -4

Homework Equations

3. Tried numerous times but struggle to get anywhere

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a basis of the domain, preferably (1,0,0,0), (0,1,0,0), (0,0,1,0), (0,0,0,1). Then the image of this basis will span the image of the linear transformation (but it won't be a basis in general). You can use this to find the image of this transformation...

Thanks micromass I sort of understand what u are saying could u possibly start me off with the calcuation.

Take the basis element (1,0,0,0) and calculate it's image.
The image of a vector x under a matrix A is Ax. So it's just a matrix multiplication...

So the taking the basis element (1,0,0,0):

T(1,0,0,0) = (1,4,10,0) ?

No, T(1,0,0,0) = (1,4,10). I'm not sure how you found that zero in the end...

Yep sorry I don't know why i put the extra zero in so:

T(1,0,0,0) = (1,4,10)
T(0,1,0,0) = (2,-3,-13)
T(0,0,1,0) = (5,1,-7)
T(0,0,0,1) = (2,0,-4)
Correct?

Yes, correct :approve:

Now the set spanned by those four vectors will be your image.

Ok sorry if seems dumb but the set spanned, what does this mean exactly?

The set spanned by some vectors is the set of all linear combinations of these vectors.

Im really confused how would this calcultion start?

Setting Ax = 0 and solving to find echelon form:

1 2 5 2
0 11 19 8
0 0 0 0

There are no calculations anymore. You already found the answer...

So that is the image of the linear transform?

The answer is just that the image is the set of all linear combinations of (1,4,10), (2,-3,-13), (5,1,-7) and (2,0,-4). Explicitly:

[tex]Image=\{\alpha(1,4,10)+\beta(2,-3,-13)+\gamma(5,1,-7)+\delta(2,0,-4)~\vert~\alpha,\beta,\gamma,\delta\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

You can span the image with less then 4 vectors however, but this doesn't seem to be the question...

Ah i see well the next part of the question goes on to say:

Give three vectprs which are in the image?

Thats not to difficult is it? You've found four vectors which is in the image, so you've got three vectors to...

Yes I understand now so I can just take 3 of the 4 vectors used. The final part of the question says show explicity that image forms a subspace. So i should just use vectors and make sure satisfy the axioms?

Yeah, there are many ways to do this. But what you suggest seems good...

Great Thanks for all ur help micromass :)

Sorry micromass quick qustion as i have stated above i could use vectors to prove the image forms a subspace of R^3. How would I go about doing this, sub in vectors to the image?

You could prove this in general. Let T:V--> W be a linear transformation, then im(T) is a subspace of W.
You'll only need to prove that
1) 0 in im(T)
2) v+w in im(T) whenever v,w in im(T)
3) av in im(T) whenever a in R and w in im(T).

Ah I see so:

1) 0 in image(T) would that just be (0,0,0) ?

Yes, I am sorry, with 0 I just meant (0,0,0)...

Rite so showing (0,0,0 is in im(T) would just be a case of subbing that into the image? Say swappping (1,4,10) for (0,0,0) ?

No. (0,0,0) is in the image because T(0,0,0,0)=(0,0,0).

Yep I understand now. With the addition axiom shall I just add (1,0,0,0) and (0,1,0,0) for example. Therefore giving me a vector (3,1,-3) ?

And finally with the scaler multiplication axiom:

2.(1,0,0,0) = 2.(1,4,10) = (2,8,20) ?

Is this correct micromass?

Yes, I can see what you mean and it is correct.
However, I must also tell you to watch your notation: writing that 2.(1,0,0,0) = 2.(1,4,10) is not correct. You have to write 2.f(1,0,0,0) = 2.(1,4,10)...

Oh why is the f there just out of curiosity?

Oh, I am sorry, that f had to be a T :shy:

Haha I see now, well again thanks for all ur help:)

1. How do I find the image of a linear transformation?

To find the image of a linear transformation, you need to apply the transformation to each vector in the domain. This will result in a new set of vectors, which make up the image of the transformation.

2. What makes finding the image of a linear transformation difficult?

Finding the image of a linear transformation can be difficult because it involves understanding the concept of linear transformations and how they affect vectors in a given space. It also requires knowledge of matrix operations and linear algebra.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the image of a linear transformation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the image of a linear transformation. Many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for performing matrix operations, which can make finding the image of a linear transformation easier.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding the image of a linear transformation?

Some common mistakes when finding the image of a linear transformation include not properly applying the transformation to each vector in the domain, not understanding the properties of linear transformations, and making errors in matrix operations.

5. How can I check if I have correctly found the image of a linear transformation?

You can check if you have correctly found the image of a linear transformation by verifying that the resulting vectors in the image satisfy the properties of a linear transformation. Additionally, you can compare your results with other methods or solutions to ensure accuracy.